Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Is there a way to check if a consultant has been sued for medical negligence previously?

(21 Posts)
duckduckmouse Tue 17-Oct-17 10:23:24

Hello, does anyone know if there is a means to see if a consultant has been sued before?

I want to check if my consultant who I am pursuing legally is already someone who has been liable for negligence?

Thanks

JoanBartlett Tue 17-Oct-17 10:57:03

I am not sure. Legal cases generally sometimes get in the press so a websearch might find it. I don't know if there is a central register.
if you are suing then in "disclosure" when you ask for details from the other side of their documents then they are forced to disclose a lot of information as part of the litigation (and you might be bable to get it before suing under pre-action disclosure order if you apply to court) although I suppose it might be confidential if part of a secret settlement although that probably says can be disclosed if a court orders it.

duckduckmouse Tue 17-Oct-17 11:55:03

Thank you for that information, I am pleased to hear I will be able to check this in due course.

I cannot find anything online and wondered if you may know of a data base I can access before this point?

Musicaltheatremum Tue 17-Oct-17 16:57:53

If you log into the general medical council website. Www.gmc.org or something like that you can search registered medical practitioners that will bring up if there is anything against their name as if they are sued it should go to the gmc.

Musicaltheatremum Tue 17-Oct-17 16:59:48

http://webcache.gmc-uk.org/gmclrmpenu/start.swe?SWECmd=GotoView&SWEBHWND=&&_sn=f2BHrWL0olDoUebEmLOX-hfyXydqanm1Jw8vrHEdm0S3hONgOQdNyLcNKqwhkTjWEOsYv-ZSegnKOHofalEa93jk-Wy.7OCpHaSzWm94rC32NM4Dj-vQ.2mHKOHxcnM7aV1HCT9z0tQNVpDz1D.hAYVlzFt1DrL7xz8KAD3qfqDtuX3wKDiIpfIcxxiF6vsm&SWEView=GMC+WEB+Doctor+Search&SRN=&SWEHo=webcache.gmc-uk.org&SWETS=1508255943&SWEApplet=GMC+WEB+Health+Provider+Search+Applet

This may be better

Musicaltheatremum Tue 17-Oct-17 17:00:48

Sorry, neither of those links work but if you type general medical council into google you will find it.

duckduckmouse Tue 17-Oct-17 18:49:19

Amazing!!! Thank you

duckduckmouse Tue 17-Oct-17 18:51:06

There's nothing there about the legal status, is it only there if they have been struck off? Does it not include lawsuits against them? Thanks

Musicaltheatremum Wed 18-Oct-17 16:29:36

Should be automatically referred to gmc

WitchesHatRim Wed 18-Oct-17 16:31:39

if you are suing then in "disclosure" when you ask for details from the other side of their documents then they are forced to disclose a lot of information as part of the litigation (and you might be bable to get it before suing under pre-action disclosure order if you apply to court)

They I believe only have to give info relating to the case not every bit of info that there is on them.

dissapointedafternoon Wed 01-Nov-17 14:34:16

I can't find anything on the GMC, looking at lots of doctors, so I don't think it's on there.

At the point where my solicitors ask for disclosure I will want to know. The consultant was a bully to me and forced me into a dangerous procedure when I wasn't able to make the decision

TreaterAnita Fri 03-Nov-17 00:38:51

Clinical negligence settlements aren’t automatically reported to the GMC. Also unlikely to come out in disclosure unless specifically referred to in an incident report related to your case. Evidence of past conduct is not considered relevant in most circumstances. Eg you could bring a claim that the surgeon negligently cut the wrong leg off, find out that he has been sued for cutting the wrong leg off before, but that would not help you to prove that he negligently cut the wrong leg off in your case (unless you were part of a group action). Bit of a crass example, but hopefully explains my point.

dissapointedafternoon Fri 03-Nov-17 07:54:45

Thank@TreaterAnita thank you that really helps.
So he won't disclose it then as it won't be relevant. I think the relevance is one consultant agreeing to one procedure, I went to another hospital where the urologists were. Another urologist forced me into a different procedure even though I was out of my mind.
First urologist continues to say he wouldn't have done it. Second urologist writes to say why he did it. First urologist said he would never have done it to me...

MsJolly Fri 03-Nov-17 08:05:44

Most cases are settled without a court case and not reported to the gmc at all so I don't think you will be able to obtain this information

TreaterAnita Fri 03-Nov-17 18:09:50

I’m not sure that disclosure of previous negligence actions will help you much tbh from the summary that you’ve given. It’s going to be independent expert evidence that’s key. Are you at that stage yet?

hiyasminitsme Fri 03-Nov-17 20:15:37

Don't forget that being sued doesn't mean you are negligent. Every doctors will be sued in their career (on average). I was sued - it was a vexatious claim and fully defended and dropped. Many many claims are either vexatious or based on a lack of understanding.

dissapointedafternoon Sat 04-Nov-17 11:30:55

My claim isn't Vexacious. It's a shame many people abuse a system.

I was failed there is no doubt.

I won't gain anything except inner peace I suppose. To know what this horrible person has son in the past.

hiyasminitsme Sat 04-Nov-17 13:31:04

Name change fail OP! And I didn't say your claim was vexatious, just that lots are.

dissapointedafternoon Sat 04-Nov-17 16:36:31

Don't know what you mean about name change fail? I name changed a few times here but yes, I agree with you that lots of people are always out to catch someone out. I'm just out to get my money back and have enough money to cope with my life the way it needs to be coped with now that I have nerve damage!

I have just worked out that yes I had a different name when I started the thread. Have no qualms of my photo etc being on here it's just I changed it because I felt that people may have known too much about my life with someone else saying I was too revealing. I don't have anything to hide really!

Mehfruittea Sat 04-Nov-17 16:53:11

GMC won’t publish or necessarily hold details of Doctors who are sued. They only deal with complaints about a doctor, not litigation. They will publish cases once they have been concluded, and only if the case was heard in public. I’d they receive a complaint, there are many circumstances where they will not publish that information.

An employer is usually aware of any complaints about a doctor, but they are not great at sharing info. So private practice won’t share with NHS and NHS won’t share info with other trusts. Bonkers.

dissapointedafternoon Sat 04-Nov-17 17:02:52

It really is, even though they may not be connected it still feels somewhat like the information should be disclosed to a patient as well. Not the cases which were contested and put to justice but anything including any out of court settlements. I just wish I knew if this nasty piece of work has hurt people before or if it was just a one off im a fool situation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now