Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Misleading car insurance

(5 Posts)
FurryScoob Thu 12-Oct-17 21:00:25

I used a comparative site this afternoon to find car insurance, I found a company I was happy with & clicked the button to go to the company's web site to take out the policy. After checking all details were correct on the company's site I confirmed my details & took out the policy. When I received my certificate an hour later they had added saloon to the end of my cars description. This was never written or given as an option before I took the policy out, (I have screenshots of the car description before I accepted the policy). I phoned them up to be told it was my fault & I needed to pay £39.99 admin charge to change my car on the policy to a hatchback. After 1/2 an hour of arguing they dropped the charge to £20 as a good will gesture or I could cancel the policy which would cost more. (Admin charges again)

I have paid the £20 but do I have any legal way of claiming it back? There was no option to choose between Saloon or hatchback on their site (a Saloon version of my car was never made) the first time it was described as a saloon was on the certificate.

SonicBoomBoom Thu 12-Oct-17 21:03:41

You shouldn't have bothered changing it.

They had your registration so they know what car you have.

But I suspect if you raise an official complaint they'll reimburse you. If not, take it to the ombudsman, and then they will.

picklemepopcorn Thu 12-Oct-17 22:01:49

Isn't there a cooling off period for insurance?

FurryScoob Thu 12-Oct-17 22:08:51

Yes but apparently you still have to pay admin charges. £50 if you want to cancel the policy, 1/3 of the price of the entire policy angry

SonicBoomBoom Thu 12-Oct-17 22:14:13

Honestly Furry, just complain. You will get your money back, and could probably get the same or more as compensation too.

They can't do what they've done. They need to "treat customers fairly", and they haven't.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now