We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

DWF solicitors and Asda

(12 Posts)
myusernameisnotmyusername Wed 11-Oct-17 19:56:06

Hi, last month I pranged a car in my local Asda car park. Initially I got out and looked, panicked and drove to another space nearby but I was going to tell the driver when I came back. Anyway my dd was desperate for toilet so I went in the store and came out ready for the other driver so I could exchange details. The security guy was already by my car so I went in with him. I knew I had only damaged my car and the other car. I went in the store and the security guy made notes of our details and we took pictures of the paper. He kept the note. The other drivers husband rung that night and we recently settled with them away from insurance. My dp went to the garage and paid for the damage. I have now had a letter from Asda’s solicitors DFW saying I owe £100 for damage to their property and £125 security fee. And I need to pay in seven days to avoid further action. I’ve rung the security at the store and they checked the cctv and the file and said the only damage was to the car. I called the manager and she said it looks like the wrong end of the stick and someone at Asda head office has just sent it to the solicitors but I’m still worried! I will call the solicitors tomorrow but has anyone had any experience of this?

prh47bridge Wed 11-Oct-17 21:24:35

It should be straightforward. Tell the solicitor that the store has checked the CCTV and there was no damage to Asda's property. They will look pretty silly if they pursue this when they have evidence that shows there was no damage.

Did you notify your insurers of the accident? Your insurance policy probably requires you to notify them of all accidents even if you settle the claim yourself.

Giverortakeafew Wed 11-Oct-17 21:26:54

Sounds like a try on. Phone DWF but afterwards send them an email summarising what was said on the call, along the lines of "thank you for confirming that you will drop this/accept that xyz disn't happen as seen on cctv etc"

myusernameisnotmyusername Wed 11-Oct-17 21:33:35

I did notify my insurers that I’d pranged a car. But they sent a letter a few days later saying they’d been notified but if I didn’t want to take it further to not contact them anymore so I didn’t but they’ll have the initial call logged won’t they? It’s a lease car

myusernameisnotmyusername Wed 11-Oct-17 21:45:30

Well they said they couldn’t get hold of me so to call them but if I didn’t they would assume I don’t need anything further from them. As I’d settled it I thought it would be fine at that. I could call them again and just make sure it’s logged though.

Spadequeen Wed 11-Oct-17 21:48:33

I would want a copy of the cctv footage so it doesn't accidentally get lost

myusernameisnotmyusername Wed 11-Oct-17 21:50:39

Can I get that? Surely this is where the £125 would come in!

myusernameisnotmyusername Wed 11-Oct-17 21:51:17

Anyway if it got lost they’d have no proof I’ve damaged anything anyway. Not that they have any with the cctv.

myusernameisnotmyusername Thu 12-Oct-17 17:54:47

I’ve called them and they said it was a mistake and will close the case.

Spadequeen Thu 12-Oct-17 18:00:08

Yay!

Giverortakeafew Thu 12-Oct-17 18:17:52

Brilliant.

myusernameisnotmyusername Thu 12-Oct-17 21:23:07

They called me back after they’d looked into it. I asked them to confirm it in writing though. I don’t understand where they got £100 from though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now