Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Is this Trespass?

(10 Posts)
Redhound Fri 06-Oct-17 17:03:24

The previous owner of my property had a water meter for his fields installed on my land after I had exchanged on the property but before completion four years ago. He is now entering my paddock without permission to check and read the meter. Is he allowed to do this? I would rather he didn't as he isnt the nicest person-although obviously I don't mind the water companies coming on to do so. Can I make him move the meter elsewhere, as he did not ask permission to change everything after I had bought the place. Thank you.

Heratnumber7 Fri 06-Oct-17 17:18:55

I would have thought you’d have a right of way to read your own meter.
Not an expert though.

Why isn’t it on his land?

Redhound Fri 06-Oct-17 17:44:51

Thanks Herat. I don't know why he had it put there, it's next to the one that was already there I guess and not far from the lane. I thought there should have been a legal agreement drawn up if he had a right of way though..

Collaborate Fri 06-Oct-17 19:00:41

I think you need to speak to the solicitor who acted for you in the conveyancing transaction.

Redhound Fri 06-Oct-17 19:10:19

Thanks Collaborate. Good point. They were not made aware of this matter at the time though; it only came to light what he had done afterwards.

Redhound Fri 06-Oct-17 19:11:14

Sorry for the poor grammar

Collaborate Sat 07-Oct-17 05:51:26

The transfer should have “excepted and reserved” to the seller a right to enter your land for that purpose. If it didn’t it’s most likely trespass.

Redhound Sun 08-Oct-17 18:41:28

Thank you collaborate. Nothing of the sort came up during the purchase, so it looks as though I have my answer. Your advice is appreciated.

Collaborate Sun 08-Oct-17 21:46:05

it looks as though I have my answer

You'd be unwise to act upon the advice of a family lawyer posting anonymously on the internet. Go back to your conveyancing solicitor and ask them. There's more to it than what I posted.

Redhound Mon 09-Oct-17 08:34:00

I will do collaborate, thanks. I just like to suss things out and get others' opinions before making a move.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now