Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Can my DM avoid jury service?

(9 Posts)
Hohofortherobbers Mon 02-Oct-17 21:07:37

My DM has been called for jury service, she's 71 and in good health. In the nicest possible way and I really do say this with love, she's hopeless at retaining information and always has been, nothing to do with her age, she's a lovely person but probably the most inappropriate juror I can imagine. She may well decide to go for it and that's fine (glad I'm not in the dock! ), if she doesn't fancy it is it true you are excusable for just being over 70, or would you have to go for a medical exam or prove you have a condition which incapacitates you?

Rainbowqueeen Mon 02-Oct-17 21:11:20

Not in England but where I live you just need to sign a statutory declaration that you are over 70 to be excused.

Try calling the court, they will advise you

Ttbb Mon 02-Oct-17 21:15:19

Can't she just turn up on the day and 'admit' that she is racist against whatever race the defendant is?

Alanna1 Mon 02-Oct-17 21:17:58

Essentially yes if not up to it -
www.gov.uk/government/news/jury-age-limit-to-be-raised-to-75-in-england-and-wales

Hohofortherobbers Mon 02-Oct-17 21:30:15

Thank you Alanna, hopefully they won't need her to specify what incapacitates her as being 'a bit dizzy' probably won't cut it!!! Seriously though, she'll probably decide to do it. I suppose they need a cross section of society

Hohofortherobbers Mon 30-Oct-17 13:10:29

Hi, an update plus another question. Dm got a letter from her GP who has requested she be excused on (quite tenuous! ) medical grounds. Hopefully this will have the desired effect. However the letter cost her £30, she's prepared to write this off but I wonder is there anyway of claiming this back? It seems wrong that an OAP is out of pocket for this reason.

Musicaltheatremum Wed 01-Nov-17 07:18:46

I'm a GP jury service letters are one of the letters we are not allowed to charge for. It is part of our GMS service. I'll see if I can find the link.

Musicaltheatremum Wed 01-Nov-17 07:21:49

https://www.bma.org.uk/advice/employment/fees/certificates-no-charge

Hohofortherobbers Wed 01-Nov-17 07:54:53

Thank you, I'll print that off for her

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now