Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Proving ID as a lodger

(23 Posts)
IamalsoSpartacus Fri 22-Sep-17 22:05:32

Can anyone with a bit of experience help me sort my ID problems out? I've moved six times this year for a number of reasons. Now I'm a lodger.

I have money in the bank to buy a house.

I tried to offer on one today but of course I have to provide proof of address.

I'm renting a stranger's spare room on an ad-hoc basis.

As a lodger, is it OK to ask if I can go on the electoral roll or similar? Has anyone had a lodger ask for this? How did you feel about it? I don't know how to raise it without landlord feeling put on the spot.

drspouse Fri 22-Sep-17 22:06:40

Do you have another address? If not that's the address where you are eligible to vote - I don't think you need to "ask".

IamalsoSpartacus Fri 22-Sep-17 22:24:33

no, and I don't have family I can ask either.

PeaPodPopper Fri 22-Sep-17 22:29:39

Have you a driving licence with up to date details?

Or do you have an up to date rent book ?

Or can you ask your landlord/local council for a copy of the council tax form - you should be named on it?

HirplesWithHaggis Fri 22-Sep-17 22:31:05

Each individual is now required to register to vote, it's not the "head of the household" any more. You can do it online, and change and update as needed, also online.

www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

IamalsoSpartacus Fri 22-Sep-17 22:31:28

i don't have a rent book, it just goes out of my bank to landlord's.

IcanMooCanYou Fri 22-Sep-17 22:35:43

I've had lodgers. A couple just resistered themselves at my (our!) address. Others didn't (either didn't bother or registered at parents/partners' addresses). All fine with me (after all, I don't even need to register with tax unless earning over 7k per month from renting rooms). The ones who registered here just did it themselves on line and i only know from once a year when the form comes through from the council to check it's up to date

PeaPodPopper Fri 22-Sep-17 22:36:56

What about your place of work - will they have your address details?

passport maybe?

IcanMooCanYou Fri 22-Sep-17 22:37:38

Sorry if i wasn't clear- you can absolutely register yourself online. You don't need permission or proof.

IamalsoSpartacus Fri 22-Sep-17 22:50:40

thanks - but did it piss you off when you found out?

IamalsoSpartacus Fri 22-Sep-17 22:52:56

Also, secondary question after some more research online - why is the Estate Agent asking for my ID? Surely that's for the conveyancing solicitors?

IcanMooCanYou Fri 22-Sep-17 22:58:07

No not at all. Unless I was doing something wrong- like sublet a room or hiding money from the tax-man- there's no need to be pissed off. Everyone has the right to vote and if my house is someone's only home then that's where they need to register.

IcanMooCanYou Fri 22-Sep-17 23:00:51

In my (limited) experience of buying a house, everyone needs everything from you! I guess they jyst want to do their own checks so they know they're not wasting their time

CotswoldStrife Fri 22-Sep-17 23:02:04

It's standard for the EA to ask for ID IME, I had to take our passports in when we were selling. Probably to do with money laundering regs, which seem to need all the proof in the world of your identity and the source of your dosh!

DH used to lodge when he worked away, but everything was registered to our home address tbh. I don't think he ever needed to prove his address at the lodgings.

Ican I hope that was a typo otherwise I'm going to be the bearer of bad news because 7K is the yearly limit, not the monthly!

IcanMooCanYou Fri 22-Sep-17 23:03:14

That's just my guess- it could even be they have a legal obligation to check???

IcanMooCanYou Fri 22-Sep-17 23:07:29

Sorry- just read back- that's 7k per year for landlord s of lodgers to register to pay. I think even London landlords would do well to reach 7k per month (let's blame the wine )

IamalsoSpartacus Fri 22-Sep-17 23:26:00

the law changed in July - they do now have to check buyers as well as sellers. Bugger.

IamalsoSpartacus Fri 22-Sep-17 23:26:27

will have to withdraw offer until I get things sorted out.

CotswoldStrife Fri 22-Sep-17 23:38:59

It's Friday Ican so it's definitely wine o'clock wine grin

OP, can you really not prove your address at all - even your previous one? What a pain to have to withdraw your offer! Is there anything registered to your lodgings such as insurance or council tax (or is it all online statements).

Is it that they are asking for fairly recent stuff, I think if we wanted to use bank statement/utility bills they had to be 3 months old (or def under 6 months old) which would be an issue for you if you've been moving around for a year.

IamalsoSpartacus Sat 23-Sep-17 00:04:09

A bit of both, Strife. I'd really hoped to get something bought quickly so I could just notify everythign to a new permanent address. I've only been in this place a couple of weeks but the ID requires "current address." I think I will have to wait a bit and hope that we get on sufficiently for me to raise it with them.

IamalsoSpartacus Sat 23-Sep-17 00:04:53

previous address was also 'bills incuded' so nothing from there either.

IcanMooCanYou Sat 23-Sep-17 00:10:38

Seriously- don't raise it with him. Just register yourself. Get a few addresses changed to there- bank, driving licence, mobile, etc. All completely normal for a lodger.

IamalsoSpartacus Sat 23-Sep-17 08:53:37

OK - thanks! I wasn't sure what was normal, and I think landlord is new to this too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now