Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Single mum in tower block- cladding

(14 Posts)
mollyminniemo Wed 12-Jul-17 11:53:50

Hi all
A family friend is a 22 year old single mum of 2 young kids (2 & 4) and lives in a tower block in SW London. Her block is due to have the dreaded (but not the flammable type) cladding put up later this year, and during this time she will have a temporary wall as they remove windows/wall sections, as well as her radiators removed.

She rents through a landlord. She is obviously very unhappy about this all and I would like to know if she has any rights i.e. demanding her landlord finds her alternative accommodation during this time? Thanks.

Jellybean85 Wed 12-Jul-17 12:11:10

They should make alternative arrangements for her heating if it's taken down but if it's habitable there's no obligation to put up tenants in hotels etc. How long will works take? A few days? A few weeks?
She could approach and ask for a goodwill gesture?

Sometimes repairs and maintenance work is inconvenient, most people wouldn't want the hassle of tenporArily living somewhere else every time their landlord needed to do repairs

RelaxMax Wed 12-Jul-17 12:26:31

Landlord needs to provide electric heaters so there is still heating while the radiators are out of action, but doesn't need to re-house her unless it's actually uninhabitable.

PersianCatLady Wed 12-Jul-17 13:19:54

Will the property become inhabitable so that she cannot live there during the refurbishment??

mollyminniemo Wed 12-Jul-17 13:27:39

The works will take months- this is cladding to a whole tower block/removable of walls! Thanks for advice so far though.

PersianCatLady Wed 12-Jul-17 13:48:46

The works will take months- this is cladding to a whole tower block/removable of walls! Thanks for advice so far though
I realise that but will the refurbishment make the flat inhabitable??

PersianCatLady Wed 12-Jul-17 13:49:12

Sorry I meant uninhabitable.

Jellybean85 Wed 12-Jul-17 13:51:36

The whole block will take months but how long will they actually be working in her flat? I think it's really unlikely she'll be offered somewhere else to live. If it's several months away and she rents privately and feels strongly
About it she could move?

mollyminniemo Wed 12-Jul-17 16:29:10

As said she is a single young mum of two small kids, this is the cheapest flat in the area so she has no choice re. moving. I just feel sad for her not more could be done.

PersianCatLady Wed 12-Jul-17 17:06:12

As said she is a single young mum of two small kids, this is the cheapest flat in the area so she has no choice re. moving
Why won't you answer the question about whether or not the refurbishment will make her flat uninhabitable?

How long does she have left on her tenancy, it may be that her tenancy will come to an end before the refurbishment??

Was she told about the refurbishment at the time she signed the lease?

If not, when did she find out about it??

Does she know what other people in the tower block are planning to do during the refurbishment?

thefutureisfemale Wed 12-Jul-17 17:07:35

Why does her being a single mum make her any more important than anyone else?

Out2pasture Wed 12-Jul-17 17:31:14

Does she carry rental insurance, maybe her policy has a clause to accommodate this?

Heartoverheadhouse Thu 13-Jul-17 07:00:42

I don't think a temporary wall and electric heaters sounds like the flat will be unhabitable. She might want to ask about a rent reduction of her heating bills will go up due to the electric radiators. I can't really see what the problem is.

PersianCatLady Thu 13-Jul-17 11:04:10

I can't really see what the problem is
That is why I wanted to know more about the situation but the OP disappeared from the thread.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: