Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Deciding on who pays for what communal stuff when splitting a deed and if you dont know - do you know where I find out?

(3 Posts)
Blowingthroughthejasmineinmymi Tue 11-Jul-17 14:27:51

I have a property- shop below and flat above, I want to split the deed but am struggling to find out proper information on this. We have a solicitor who said " its up to your and your buyer to decide who pays for the communal areas" etc.

But surely there is precedent for this - and a usual standard time tested formula to use as guide?

Its flat above shop, has courtyard, garage and driveway.

Do I keep a parking space with the shop> Do I give it all to the flat with built in - "allowances" for the shop to retain some parking rights? Who pays for the drains? What on earth would I charge?

I would retain shop and sell flat to friend ( if this falls through I will probably sell the whole thing)

Solicitors have been vague and not sure where to get proper info from.

Collaborate Tue 11-Jul-17 15:31:05

You need an surveyor to advise rather than a solicitor.

Blowingthroughthejasmineinmymi Tue 11-Jul-17 17:35:02

OK will try that route - so surveyor advises then solicitor puts in in lease and makes it legal...

also any type of surveyor, are they all the same?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: