Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Exam marking on maternity

(5 Posts)
Missmac84 Wed 28-Jun-17 04:02:26

Exactly that really.

Does exam marking for an exam board affects my maternity pay that I receive from my school employer?

One source says no but it needs to be declared as self employment.

One source says it has no bearing at all.

One source says I will have to reimburse the 3 to 4 weeks of SMP back.

I am only on maternity for another 3 weeks and am due to start marking tomorrow!

nerdsville Thu 29-Jun-17 18:49:06

How are they paying you? Are you invoicing them or are they paying you through payroll? If on payroll, were you already employed by them before your mat leave?

Missmac84 Thu 29-Jun-17 19:11:33

I've been on their payroll for 4 years as mark every year x

nerdsville Thu 29-Jun-17 19:38:06

As long as you've been continuously employed by them (ie they don't give you a P45 every year then set you up a new payroll record when the next session starts) then you're fine.

If they were already one of your employers before your SMP started then it has no impact on your entitlement and doesn't need to be declared as self employment because it's not self employment. (Sidenote, self employed work during mat leave wouldn't affect SMP either).

Missmac84 Thu 29-Jun-17 21:12:58

@nerdsville thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now