Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Can I take legal action to stop exH misrepresenting me on Facebook?

(3 Posts)
ThomasRichard Tue 20-Jun-17 23:59:02

ExH and I have small-ish DC. We are divorced and our relationship is not amicable. He has taken to posting rants on FB about my supposed misdeeds, painting himself to be terribly wronged and the victim of cruel and spiteful behaviour on my part. While I have blocked him and not engaged with him on this, I want it to stop. We have a lot of mutual friends and acquaintances and my actions and character are being misrepresented in an awful way, both to them and to people I don't know. Is this something I could ask a solicitor to write to him about? Does the law offer any protection here? I don't want to sue him, just for the posts to be deleted and for no further ones to be made.

Thanks for any advice!

prh47bridge Wed 21-Jun-17 13:11:35

If his comments are factually inaccurate that may be libel. However, you may achieve better results by reporting the offending posts to Facebook. They can delete the posts and, if necessary, block your ex from posting.

ThomasRichard Wed 21-Jun-17 21:29:57

Thanks. They're a mix of fact, fiction and his own highly-coloured take on things. I had a lovely solicitor who dealt with the divorce so I might just book an hour with her and see if she can write a letter.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: