Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Solicitors costs

(6 Posts)
pizzalover2011 Sun 18-Jun-17 10:27:41

My solicitor originally agreed to bill
Me at the end of my Litigation case but now he has demanded that I pay him half immediately as he feels I have lost faith in him (I have as he has made errors and will not accept that he has)). He wants an immediate bank transfer and my question is should be provide an invoice and how long does he have to give me to pay it

MrsBertBibby Sun 18-Jun-17 11:00:51

Was that agreement put in writing?

pizzalover2011 Sun 18-Jun-17 11:30:27

In writing he said that it would at the end of
My case but he also said that he could
Request payment if he withdraws his retainer. This is what he has done. It's a long story but he is basically saying that unless I agree to the non binding terms agreed at mediation he will not represent me anymore and will not take it further through the courts. He knows he will get his
Money now that I've agreed to the non binding agreement as there is a lump sum
Of money but he said he wants part of the
Money. I think it is so I cannot point another solicitor.

Allthebestnamesareused Sun 18-Jun-17 12:57:35

You agreed to going to mediation and the matter has been settled.

However now you don't want to agree to the terms agreed at the mediation.

The solicitor is well within his rights to bill you for the work he has done. His terms of engagement letter will set out the days within which he is to be paid. (Often this is 30 days but it may be less). The terms will also set out what interest is payable if you do not pay him in accordance with terms.

This is why as a solicitor I would never agree to payment at the end of a deal, because the client who feels he has lost his case doesn't want to pay!

pizzalover2011 Mon 19-Jun-17 08:12:12

I haven't lost the case. My solicitor did it follow through on agreeing certain things before mediation and he did a I turn in mediation without the other side bringing evidence. Something which I have been trying to get for over 2 years. He messed up on the calculations and refuses to accept that and instead us tried to push me into signing. He said I could change
My mind as it is non binding but has tried to put every obstacle in my way. I accept that he needs to be paid but he is being spiteful a
In demanding payment immediately when he will have the full payment in 2-3 weeks and he knows this

pizzalover2011 Mon 19-Jun-17 08:15:21

He did no tax calculations but in his emails he said he would and he even told the other side he would work
Out the tax position for them. I asked him to correct the figures that he got wrong and he refused and said it's a good deal
Take it! Our QC said that we had a very strong case and now the solicitor has messed it up

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now