Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Court records?

(9 Posts)
AllRoadsLeadBackToRadley Tue 13-Jun-17 08:01:49

This may be a little vague, so apologies in advance.

I took someone to court in 2005.

Recently I've tried to access the court records in order to obtain copies. I've been told that there is no way of accessing the records!

Is this true? I know it was a while ago, and they'll have been archived- but they'll have them somewhere, surely?

LisaMed1 Tue 13-Jun-17 08:39:46

I left the Court Service in 2001, so I can tell you what was happening then.

The Courts were more or less computerised but not in the way they are now. They would record that a claim was made and who was involved, but would not necessarily have scanned documents. There may be an electronic record of the result somewhere, but even if it can be retrieved it may be sketchy.

The paper file will not have lasted long, depending on the claim. IIRC Divorce records apart from the nisi and absolute were destroyed two years after the last action and normal money claims would also be destroyed two years after the last action.

What information were you needing?

AllRoadsLeadBackToRadley Tue 13-Jun-17 09:35:18

Details of the charges, basically. Does the period in which the records are kept vary depending on the type of charge?

prh47bridge Tue 13-Jun-17 10:37:32

Are we talking about a criminal case here?

AllRoadsLeadBackToRadley Tue 13-Jun-17 10:38:54

Yes. Abuse, if that helps any?

LisaMed1 Tue 13-Jun-17 12:03:09

My information doesn't apply. I'm sorry I can't help but sending good vibes

AllRoadsLeadBackToRadley Tue 13-Jun-17 12:46:46

Oh please don't be sorry! Thank you for trying!

MrsBertBibby Tue 13-Jun-17 18:49:17

Was the person convicted?

AllRoadsLeadBackToRadley Tue 13-Jun-17 19:38:22

Yes. She pled guilty and was sentenced in Jan 2005.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now