Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Legal options

(4 Posts)
user1496733827 Tue 06-Jun-17 09:01:35

What legal options do I have. I live in another country and the father of my children lives in UK. He has barely been around in his children's lives and no day just stop contacting us. It's been months and he hasn't paid any child support or financially helped me out with our children.

Our youngest has been severely ill since she was born, she still requires medical attention as well as our oldest does too. I don't know what's legal options I have as I live in another country. He's never seen his children and I asked him to do paternity test for confirmation as a proof so one day I can claim child support if he walks away.

By his request, his name is on our children's birth certificate, however, he did not sign it. I have just put his name down and explained the situation to the government and welfare services here. He doesn't pays attention to any legal paper work he was sent by me which was to sign the birth certificate or go through family-based agreement.

He's done nothing, so what can I do here?

expatinscotland Tue 06-Jun-17 09:03:17

Depends on the country. You really need to seek proper legal advice, particularly if you are in another country.

user1496733827 Tue 06-Jun-17 09:06:07

I live in New Zealand. The CSA in UK suggested that I seek help from REMO or get a solicitor. However, I can't afford one yet.

titchy Tue 06-Jun-17 09:17:27

Well you need a solicitor. No one here can advise you unless they happen to be a NZ solicitor. NZ has jurisdiction not U.K. Incidentally child support can't normally be backdated here.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: