Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Sorry, parking fine one

(12 Posts)
Hoppinggreen Mon 05-Jun-17 14:04:59

I have had a letter today from a genuine parking company with a fine for £100 for parking " without a permit or authority". I have googled where I allegedly got the fine and I have never been there or would be likely to go there for any reason. Unfortunately I was working from home that day so can't actually prove I WASNT there and as it's only about an hour from home I could conceivably have got there and back and been seen at school drop off and pick up ( only witnesses I could possibly use)
The parking company only allow payments by phone and all other correspondence has to be by post. I'm loathe to engage with them as I don't want to be seen to be admitted anything and also I think why the hell should the onus be on me to prove I wasn't there.
However, I don't want it to escalate so should I write? They describe it as an appeal but by appealing am I admitting there is something to appeal against? My theory is cloned plate or human error as I most certainly was NOT where they claim I was.
Any advice please?

dementedpixie Mon 05-Jun-17 14:09:38

Have the provided evidence that you were there? Photo?

ThouShallNotPass Mon 05-Jun-17 14:15:15

Write to them and state that you were not there.

The burden of proof is on them and that requires photographic evidence at the very least. I wouldn't pay up if they simply claim their worker saw your vehicle. They could have easily written the wrong license plate on their paperwork by accident.

pinkblink Mon 05-Jun-17 14:16:40

Maybe contact in writing (keeping a copy for yourself) and getting proof of delivery, stating it's not an admittance of guilt as it was not you or your vehicle, would they send you a picture of their evidence so you can prove they are wrong

XxStefxX Mon 05-Jun-17 14:20:08

Ask for a photo, I always do. If they cant provide one tell them to get lost xx

Hoppinggreen Mon 05-Jun-17 14:27:18

No, no photo of the car ( which there couldn't be as I wasn't there)
DH is adamant that my engaging I'm admitting guilt but I have spoken to the DVLA and they think it would be better to contact the parking company and ask to see their proof

prh47bridge Mon 05-Jun-17 15:07:23

It used to be the case that you should ignore parking companies but the law has changed. They are now able to enforce their fines.

Engaging with them is not an admission of guilt. Appealing is not an admission of guilt. You are appealing against them fining you. That does not in any way mean you are admitting that your car was there. You should appeal.

Hoppinggreen Mon 05-Jun-17 15:42:41

Thank you
I will write to them and ask them for proof

WatchingFromTheWings Mon 05-Jun-17 15:58:11

DH is adamant that my engaging I'm admitting guilt

I can't see how writing to them stating 'It wasn't me, myself nor my car were there' would be admitting guilt. Ask for evidence.

Judashascomeintosomemoney Mon 05-Jun-17 16:11:55

Tbh I'd not even ask for proof, just write stating they're mistaken as neither you nor your car were there.

Hoppinggreen Mon 05-Jun-17 16:27:45

I've actually realised that I do have an alibi as well but it's my Mum so I'm not sure if that would do.
I'm going to write tomorrow and go from there.
Thanks for all the replies

wowfudge Mon 05-Jun-17 17:35:53

It's not a criminal matter - the charge/fine will be based on a civil, contractual premise. You don't need an alibi.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now