Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Help - advice with 'declaration of parentage' please

(5 Posts)
catsaremyfriends Sun 28-May-17 18:27:11

I want my fathers name on my birth certificate but he passed away in 2007. On the form (Declaration of parentage) it says one parent must fill this form in in-front of one of the following:
justice of the peace
commissioner of oaths
practicing solicitor
notary public
licensed conveyancer
authorised advocate
authorised litigator

I can't seem to find one or get one to do this? Any suggestions?

JanetBrown2015 Sun 28-May-17 19:21:19

A solicitor is probably the best bet. Have you tried ringing round biggish firms locally. It sounds like you could have to take your mother to the solicitor and she signs in their presence that your father is the true father.
Don't they need a DNA test otherwise surely I could have myself declared child of Prince Charles?

prh47bridge Sun 28-May-17 19:31:23

I'm afraid that form won't help you. It is used where one of the parents is unable to attend the registry office. It must be completed by the absent parent. In this case that would be your father.

In order to get your father on the birth certificate your mother will have to ask the courts for a Declaration of Parentage. She will need to provide evidence that he is your father, including a DNA test. It will probably cost over £1,000 and will take several months.

If you want to pursue this I would recommend getting proper legal advice.

catsaremyfriends Sun 28-May-17 20:53:04

As he is dead and he was adopted (the reason I want him on my BC so I can get his records and search family) I was told my mum can declare he was the father under oath and then I will have to re-register my birth with his name on it.

The Registry office told me this was the only way to do it.

I'm fairly certain that this form will enable me to do this but I just need someone to do the oath part. That's where I am struggling.

prh47bridge Sun 28-May-17 22:06:46

If you are in England or Wales that is odd advice and contrary to the Births and Deaths Registration Act 1953 S10A. See this story in the Guardian last year for the process a mother had to go through to get her dead partner named on the birth certificate.

If you really do just need the form signed a solicitor should do it for you on payment of a small fee. But I'm afraid I think you have been given incorrect advice.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: