Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Health & safety issues in UK holiday rental

(7 Posts)
Bananamanfan Sun 28-May-17 06:54:25

We are on holiday at the moment in a holiday let in England. I have some health & safety concerns that i have reported to the company we booked through (well known holiday lets company) and they are not interested.
Concerns are; lack of ventilation, dodgy plug sockets & electrical bodges, loose glass (acting as shelves), metal edged stairs. In addition to this there are things i think must be a breach of building regs; 1 door between toilet & kitchen & the conversion of cellar to bedroom.

Where/how can i report these concerns to ensure the property is inspected, so that its suitability as a holiday home can be assessed?
In addition to this; it is filthy & very unpleasant.

rizlett Sun 28-May-17 07:07:03

I door between kitchen and bathroom is allowed these days - building regs changed quite a while ago.

Is there a trip advisor - maybe put your comments on there.

wellhonestly Sun 28-May-17 07:15:01

Local authority of the area? (Re trading standards, building control etc)

drquin Sun 28-May-17 07:18:07

The local council's planning / building control website should let you search for the property to see if any changes have been done in accordance with any planning permission etc.

Otherwise,are they registered with a tourism group, one which inspects? They might be interested.

If you think there's stuff "wrong" you're going to have to find someone who can help you prove it. Descriptions such as "dodgy" are just your opinion (probably a fair one, but still just an opinion). Better if you can prove something.

Bananamanfan Sun 28-May-17 07:42:18

Thanks for your replies. I have taken photos. I won't be doing anything further until we get home. The way the holiday company have dealt with my concerns has made the situation much worse & very stressful to the point that i have asked them not to contact me again while we are on holiday.

Coneheadmum Sun 28-May-17 18:13:55

We always stay in holiday lets and when we have had problems, every few years, I never know who to complain to. One time we had a fire where the chimney needed sweeping so badly we nearly choked.

Another time there was no internet, despite being promised high speed.

Another time the guy we rented it off swore blind that what looked like construction on google earth wasn't. We got there. It was and it was right opposite.

Seems to me whether they are companies or individuals, they don't want to know, and once you're there you just have to try and not let it ruin your holiday.

When I get home, I have written letters etc. Total waste of time. Once I left a trip advisor review, with pictures and the very aggressive manager of the villa site (this was not in the UK) got on and left a response saying I was making it all up. Luckily for me I have a ten year trip advisor profile and have rarely left poor reviews, so his credibility seemed more suspect than mine.

Anyway, I feel your pain, I am sure you have paid through the nose, and if anyone has good suggestions, I would like to hear them.

Bananamanfan Mon 29-May-17 20:41:05

Sorry to hear that, conehead We're having a nice time anyway, just spending as little time as possible in the house.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now