Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Divorce amicable reasons for unreasonable behaviour

(9 Posts)
coffeeandchocolate4 Tue 23-May-17 19:59:01

Hi,
'D'H and I are getting a divorce. We're doing it on grounds of unreasonable behaviour as he won't admit adultery and I can't be bothered/have the money to fight him on that ground. I'm divorcing him myself. Examples of his unreasonable behaviour are drinking, gambling, staying out until all hours, ignoring me at home, and not bothered with our baby etc. We are fairly amicable and want to do this between ourselves. Our finances and contact are otherwise agreed. I'm just a bit stuck on the wording for his unreasonable behaviour. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

RedHelenB Tue 23-May-17 20:20:53

Just as you've put!

coffeeandchocolate4 Tue 23-May-17 20:24:34

Thanks RedHelenB, I read online I needed to word it a certain way to ensure the Judge approves it?

Familylawsolicitor Tue 23-May-17 23:14:02

Around 6 examples. Each example doesn't need to be more than about 3 sentences.
Briefly, what he did, when he did it and how it made you feel. I try and leave children out of it and keep it to examples about your relationship.
Eg
the respondent drunk to excess frequently and this made the petitioner feel that he preferred alcohol to family life.

The respondent gambled particularly in the last few years and this made the petitioner feel financially insecure.

coffeeandchocolate4 Wed 24-May-17 13:50:47

Thank you! Do I need specific dates do you know?

Familylawsolicitor Wed 24-May-17 19:30:34

No just vague as per my example "last few years" etc unless it's a one off incident and even then it's fine to say an approx date.
They don't need to be particularly serious incidents

coffeeandchocolate4 Wed 24-May-17 20:25:22

Thank you familylawsolicitor (sorry don't know how to make that bold).

Traveller123 Tue 20-Jun-17 16:33:52

Unfortunately UK, unlike some Countries, does not allow the irreconcilable differences ground for reason for divorce. So one partner has to blame the other for something. Unreasonable behaviour is the most common to use as it can be anything you wish to list.

ClashCityRocker Tue 20-Jun-17 16:37:56

That sucks. Why can't 'we just don't love each other or want to be married' be a reason?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now