Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

No response from supplier - what to do?

(4 Posts)
wowfudge Fri 19-May-17 11:12:24

An expensive item we ordered got damaged in transit. It was returned to the workshop and repaired then fitted in our kitchen. There have been two repair attempts since then as I noticed issues with it after fitting. Each repair attempt has caused other issues.

After the second repair attempt we asked could we get a replacement if we still weren't happy after living with it for a few days? We were told they wouldn't replace it, but would take it away and refund the 50% of the total cost we had paid to date. The decision to leave it for a few days was mutual although we had said immediately that we thought it didn't look right, but changing light affects things and we may be able to live with it.

A few days later I emailed to reject the item, request collection and a refund. No response, no acknowledgement. I know they have received it though because the person who recommended the supplier has been contacted by them and has tried to act as an intermediary, but it was too late by then after we had basically been told to like it or lump it. DP has emailed twice a few days apart to request that collection is arranged.

What do we do now? We can remove the item ourselves due to its size and weight. Without the refund we cannot order a replacement from another supplier as we do not have the funds.

wowfudge Fri 19-May-17 11:13:47

Sorry - we cannot remove the item ourselves

underneaththeash Sat 20-May-17 11:54:54

Why would you only want to accept 50% of the cost, if the item was damaged when you received it, you are entitled to have it replaced or repaired, you can accept a partial refund, but only if YOU wish to keep it. This is as long as you pointed out the initial damage within 30 days

I would email again and say that you are no longer willing to accept a partial refund, but you want the product replaced or a full refund and if they don't comply you will report them to both trading standards and take them to small claims court where they will be also liable for your costs.

wowfudge Sun 21-May-17 13:04:29

Ah - I see I have perhaps poorly phrased my OP: we have only paid 50% of the total cost and they have said they will refund all of that.

Since I posted they have now responded and set a date for collection and refund. We have found out they are a phoenix company so DP is not going to let them take it away until we have the money back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now