Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Applying for charity status

(8 Posts)
Kettricken Wed 17-May-17 15:03:26

I'm hoping someone can help me with this as it's making my brain hurt! I'm applying to register our PTA as a charity and I'm having trouble understanding which test case I need to apply to justify why we are allowed to discriminate on the grounds of age. I think it's test case A but if someone has experience of this and can explain it to me in simple terms I'd be very grateful!

Creampastry Wed 17-May-17 17:13:04

Why would a PTA restrict by age? The objectives would be to fund the school, do they would be the recipient of funds but this wouldn't be discriminatory...,

Kettricken Wed 17-May-17 17:14:59

It restricts by age because the beneficiaries are children.

hellokittymania Wed 17-May-17 17:36:20

Really? I didn't know that. I am also looking into registering my organization in the UK, but I just haven't been able to get around to it yet. Partly because I have no idea if a Cio or cic is best And I'm in a rented flat so I don't know how to find an address for it. The charity I mean.

prh47bridge Wed 17-May-17 20:24:17

I would phone the Charity Commission to see if they can offer any advice but Test B would appear to be more appropriate. I doubt that everyone who attends the school is disadvantaged.

Creampastry Wed 17-May-17 20:32:52

Lots of PTAs have charitable status so I'm not sure what the issue is. Age Uk restricts by age but is a charity.

prh47bridge Wed 17-May-17 21:09:18

The issue is that if a charity wishes to restrict its benefits to people who share a protected characteristic (e.g. age) their governing document must state this and they must show that the restriction can be justified using one of two tests. The OP is trying to figure out which of the two tests applies to a PTA. Unless they can convince the Charity Commission that they pass one of these two tests they will not be able to register as a charity.

Kettricken Wed 17-May-17 21:17:23

Thank you prh you've explained it better than I did!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now