Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

House sale/divorce

(5 Posts)
rusholmemuffins Tue 16-May-17 19:12:37

Also posted in relationships and Property:

Divorcing husband. I'm still living in the house with my children. I'm in a new relationship and want to move in with new partner. I wanted a quick sale and have agreed a price. STBXH has found out that I have agreed the sale. He wants more money and is kicking off, saying I should have asked for me and that he'll stop the sale. Can he do this?

Bellaposy Tue 16-May-17 19:14:18

If the house is in joint names he has to agree to the sale.

ThisIsStartingToBoreMe Tue 16-May-17 19:22:20

Yes he can. Who is currently playing the mortgage

rusholmemuffins Tue 16-May-17 19:59:35

We're both on the mortgage and both paying.

He says that he wants to move back in after I've moved out and live there until the mortgage term ends. Can he?

prh47bridge Wed 17-May-17 00:30:18

Yes he can move back in. He has as much right to live there as you. However, the house will be one of the assets to be split between you in the financial settlement. Whether he will be able to continue to live there longer term depends on the settlement. If there is enough money in the pot to give you a fair share without selling the house he will be able to keep it provided he can pay the mortgage on his own.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: