Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Been accused of hitting a car in the mall car park but I know 100% that I didn't do it.

(24 Posts)
Shelleyh078 Sun 14-May-17 17:10:43

Hi, I was at the mall today when my registration plate came over the intercom saying I need to return to the vehicle which I did straight away. And I found 3 security people and a man, woman and child all hovered over my car, I was really out of breath due to my asthma and then they all started to accuse me that I had ran into their car, I tried to explain that it wasn't me and I was 100% sure as I took great care getting into the space, and I can't even say it was the same car that was there as I wasn't pay attention to the details of the car as I was paying so much attention into not hitting it, so I know I didn't. Anyway everyone of them ganged up on me even the security in total there was about 5 people at me at the same time, I thought it was there when I bought the car a few weeks ago which is what I said but when I went home and got my dad to look at it he said it wasn't there when we bought it but I know for 100% that I had not hit there car otherwise I would have said so. the woman started f-ing and swearing at me saying the police would be at my door, the security made me give them my details such as name and address but not insurance details, I asked for their details but the people wouldn't give them to me and took my details off security and got into the car and drove off. I asked the security if they had got there details they said yes but refused to give them to me, the security admitted that they had no profe such as witnesses and there was no cameras to show that I hadn't hit the car other than the marks on their car and the scratch that was on mine but like I say I know for sure that I did not hit there car so what am I to do? If you have any advice on this I would really like to hear it. Also I have attached a picture of the damage to their car.

SleepFreeZone Sun 14-May-17 17:16:16

I suppose you deny it and then their insurance company will approach your insurance company and try and sort it out.

CointreauVersial Sun 14-May-17 17:21:26

If they come after you, tell your insurance company. If there are no independent witnesses, it is likely that the two insurance companies (yours and theirs) will agree to sort out their own damages (sometimes called "knock for knock"). So you'll be liable for your scratch, and they will have to pay for their own. But if they do have credible independent witnesses your insurance company might roll over and settle their claim.

LedaP Sun 14-May-17 17:21:53

You will just have to deny it. And see what happens.

But if i have understood there is a mark on your car, thats appeared since you had it. At some point you probably have hit something and not noticed. Its possible its this car surely?

Shelleyh078 Sun 14-May-17 17:28:01

Yea that's not what was bothering me I wanted to contact the insurance and state that I didn't do it but they would give me there details so all I got of their details was their registration plate . What bothers me is that they are saying they going to get police involved and that they'll be at me. Especially with security setting on to me too when they said no one saw it or there's no cameras but if police was to come after this how could prove it.

SofiaAmes Sun 14-May-17 17:31:22

This happened to exh some years ago. The other person even had her insurance company send us a repair bill for her car, except it was dated 2 days before the supposed "accident." I sent back a blazing letter to the insurance company saying that I was going to get the police involved for their blatant insurance fraud attempt. I never heard from them again.

Shelleyh078 Sun 14-May-17 17:35:00

So do you guys think I should do nothing, not to contact my insurance but to wait and see if anyone contacts me. Then take it from there.

FadedRed Sun 14-May-17 17:35:40

Bit of a long shot, but was does the car park issue tickets/photo your number plate with the time on? You could be able to prove they arrived AFTER you did. Maybe the scratch on your car was caused by them and they are trying to blame their damage on you.

Shelleyh078 Sun 14-May-17 17:48:34

Well that's it, I don't pay attention to the details of the car as I don't go inspecting them and I couldn't honestly tell you about any of the details of the car I parked next to as wasn't paying attention to that so of stuff all I was watching was to make sure I didn't hit them if you know what I mean. The reason I'm 100% sure that it wasn't me as kept going forwards and back wards until I got into a position that I felt was ok for everyone as I wanted to be able to get out comfortably but I also wanted them to be able to. But It's making me upset as they saying they are getting the police on me, and I've never had incounters with the police in my whole life.

Shelleyh078 Sun 14-May-17 17:50:26

I don't know if they have that kind of information as the security wouldn't answer any of my questions as they were putting all the blame on even though they had no proof.

GloriaV Sun 14-May-17 17:52:09

Are there no cameras which might see what time cars enter the car park. I find it surprising that there are no cameras in a mall car park. You could go back and have a look if the security are being so useless.

It is probably bluff and you won't hear from them again. Could you see what damage you were supposed to have done to them. Had paint from your car rubbed onto theirs?
Was there a lot of damage, it's not easy to do alot of damage when just parking as everyone is normally going slowly.

I would keep quiet and see how things pan out. If you contact your insurance and say there's been an accident even if it wasn't by you it can affect your premiums I believe.

Ginorchoc Sun 14-May-17 17:53:57

Security can't make you provide your details, worth complaining to the store about that, otherwise wait and see if anything arrives from your insurance company. Police won't be interested as no injuries involved, it's a civil matter.

NanooCov Sun 14-May-17 17:54:37

Report to your insurance company along with their reg number - insurance company will be able to access details of their insurer and contact that way.
Keep it simple when speaking to your insurer - you have a scratch on your car but believe it predates this incident and you are certain you didn't come into contact with their car. You didn't attach the photo of the damage to their car by the way.
Police may contact you for a statement but I doubt it as there is no criminal offence. If anything I would contact police yourself on non emergency number - they have your name and address but not insurance details which is what they really required to take this further if they believed you were at fault. The security guards acted inappropriately in my view in giving them your details but not reciprocating with theirs.
Security guards are merely employees with a uniform and in this case sound a bit jumped up.

RandomDent Sun 14-May-17 17:59:26

I reckon they hit your car. Good luck sad

Shelleyh078 Sun 14-May-17 18:03:28

You would think there would be cameras of entering the mall at least but all I know is what they said to the the others is that there's no cameras where we were parked. I doubt even if they had cameras at the front of the mall that they would let me look with the way they treated me. There was like scratch / indent to the front light, then a few buffs, scratches and marks from underneath front light to just over top of the front wheel. No there was non of my paint on their car at all I wish I had thought of that to point that out there and then.

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Sun 14-May-17 18:06:17

You are innocent. .
Stick to that. .
To the police /insurance /anyone else.
Stop doubting yourself. .
They are chancers. .

BoneyBackJefferson Sun 14-May-17 18:12:28

Make sure that your insurance company know that you are innocent, keep telling them that and when/if they pay out complain.

GloriaV Sun 14-May-17 18:15:31

Even if she is innocent if she makes a claim for her damage she will have her premiums increased. Ime they dont' want to know the ins and outs they will just clock that she has had an accident. I would just pay a garage to fix my car and not include the insurers.

GloriaV Sun 14-May-17 18:20:40

So their car was reversed into the space?
Cameras might record when cars entered the car park so you could check to see whether you arrived after them. If you entered the car park before them then it wasn't you who marked their car.
You could suggest that you will get a solicitor to demand to see the footage if they will not allow it. If there were cameras you could call the accusers' bluff by saying that there is footage.

Shelleyh078 Sun 14-May-17 18:45:54

I'm not to bothered about my car it's only a little scratch it's not even worth going to a garage about. I know that if there's a claime my insurance would go up that's why i take care driving anywhere as my insurance is high anyway with being young and newish driver. I drove mine in and they had backed into the space so theirs was over by the front light and on to the side and the mark on my car was by the wheel towards the back of the bumper. I think by listening to you guys best bet is to wait and see what happens and make a note of everything. And keep starting to everyone that it wasn't me and that I'm not taking the blame without proof that it was me. My problems with these type of situations is that I worry to much, even though i know I'm not in the fault. And like you say security officers are not the police but when I'm in situations like these I panic and just do what they say.

CointreauVersial Sun 14-May-17 21:51:26

Yes, wait and see. If they do take it further you'll get a letter/call from your insurance company. If nothing happens, forget about it.

But next time take photos/names/statements so you're not on the back foot. Especially photos. Anything at all that your insurance company can make use of to prove your side of the story.

wowfudge Mon 15-May-17 20:50:14

Ring your insurers and give them the details. Tell them you believe you did not hit their car and that they refused to give their insurance details.

This kind of thing happens all the time. Sometimes people are mistaken. Sometimes they are trying it on. It is telling they wouldn't give their insurance details. I think they may ring you and try to persuade you to pay for repairing their car without going through the insurance. At which point you tell them you've already spoken to your insurers and they should speak to theirs.

user1492287253 Fri 19-May-17 23:07:11

The police will not be interested. Unless they or someone else saw you or there is a direct paint transfer between the vehicles your insurers are unlikely to pay

OlennasWimple Fri 19-May-17 23:10:34

Honestly? The police aren't interested in this at all.

The rest of it - that's what you pay your insurance premiums for, to sort out stuff like this without you having to be involved

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now