Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Sarah's Law

(17 Posts)
NotTheDuchessOfCambridge Sat 13-May-17 14:34:10

Has anyone used Sarah's Law to find out about a neighbour? I don't want details about the person obvs because I know it's a breach of confidentiality but how easy was it for you? Did you walk into a police station and just ask? Or phone them up? Were you questioned about your motives?
There is a person near me who just gives me the creeps as he keeps bringing his toys out to play with the kids when they are out playing, it's not just this, there's a lot of other stuff. He may really genuine but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I just need to know how willingly the police will give over any info.

nameohnameohname Sat 13-May-17 14:56:59

It might be worth posting this in the legal section, you are likely to get some answers there. Interesting question!

NotTheDuchessOfCambridge Sat 13-May-17 15:15:27

Ok thank you.

Ahmezia Sat 13-May-17 15:28:51

Why don't you just google it? There's plenty of information out there?

In the circumstances given you would be unlikely to be told anything however if the Police are given this information and there is an issue they would potentially be able to act on it.

NotTheDuchessOfCambridge Sat 13-May-17 15:40:10

But I thought that Sarah's law meant they had to tell you if there was a previous conviction? I did google but I was after someone's experience of going to the police and google is good but I it doesn't message me back. 80% of questions on mumsnet could be googled, it's not that simple though.

MagentaRocks Sat 13-May-17 15:56:15

No they don't have to tell you. Sarah's law is for people who are concerned about people that have proper access to their children. Thinking your neighbour is creepy won't get you the information. He isn't with your children unattended. It is for new partners of family members where the person is in close contact.

NotTheDuchessOfCambridge Sat 13-May-17 16:47:21

Wrong, includes neighbours.

NotTheDuchessOfCambridge Sat 13-May-17 16:47:41

So yes, they do have to tell me.

NotTheDuchessOfCambridge Sat 13-May-17 16:49:15

I think you are mistaking this Law for another one designed to investigate new partners for DA.

c3pu Sat 13-May-17 16:51:22

I've done it...

Phone 101 and ask to apply for a disclosure under Sarah's Law. They'll take your details, and the details of the person you suspect etc, then you'll hear back.

And yes, it turns out I was right, he was a sex offender and he ended up back in jail.

NotTheDuchessOfCambridge Sat 13-May-17 16:54:05

Thank you c3pu, I was wondering about phoning 101 but didn't know if they dealt with it. Definitely going to do it, nothing about him adds up.
Glad you trusted your instincts then!!

MagentaRocks Sat 13-May-17 17:18:39

Ring 101 and apply. I would be very surprised if they told you. It includes neighbours if they have access to your children unsupervised, so if they were babysitting, it doesn't include neighbours that your children will see in the street. I know, it's my job to know.

ToniMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 13-May-17 17:26:23

We'll be moving this thread to Legal matters soon.

Ahmezia Sat 13-May-17 17:27:55

Agree with magentarocks.

It's my job to know too.

You can ask but you won't necessarily be told. NSPCC did a FOI request and only 1 in 6 applications resulted in a disclosure.

As I said before if there is an issue the Police may act on the information you give even if they don't tell you what the issues are.

NotTheDuchessOfCambridge Sat 13-May-17 17:59:00

My children play outside, we live in a 5 house dead end road. He doesn't speak to any other residents but strangely, when the kids are out he's out there with his rollerblades/drone/remote control car. He's in his 40s. Talking to them and saying people think he's weird because he likes playing with kids toys. It's just making me a bit hmm

ComtesseDeSpair Sat 13-May-17 19:11:49

Rather than focus on Sarah's Law, just keep on doing what you're no doubt doing at the moment: make sure you supervise your DC outdoors; remind them that they mustn't go into anybody else's house without your permission, even if that person says you wouldn't mind; tell them to tell you immediately if any adult does something that makes them uncomfortable or asks them to keep anything a secret. Knowing that he has a conviction shouldn't affect how you keep your children safe anyway, and if he turns out to have no history at all then he's still a "creepy" man who you don't like and I doubt being reassured that he's never been convicted is going to change how you feel about him.

NotTheDuchessOfCambridge Sat 13-May-17 21:10:03

True, I tell them every time they go out about tricky people and I regularly check on them. It's just he acts SO suspiciously that I am going to have to check, like I said in my OP there's a bit more to it than the toys but I can't go into it without bringing my other neighbours into it when it may out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now