We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

I am executor of an uncomplicated Will in Scotland

(11 Posts)
Luncharmstrong Tue 25-Apr-17 09:41:49

My dad has left his estate divided equally between his 3 children.

It will not be over the inheritance tax limit. Uncontested, no complications.

Has anyone ever done the probate stuff and settled the whole thing etc without paying a lawyer ?

whataboutbob Tue 25-Apr-17 19:53:40

many people have and frankly I kind of envy you. My Dad instructed a solicitor as well as me and she refused to stand down and let me be sole executor, so she'll be trousering some large fees for a job i could have done myself.
I did my mum's, in England it was a bit slow but very doable. She did not hit the IHT threshold.
I know Scottish law is often different but there are plenty of resources online to guide you.Hopefully someone with experience of going through the process in Scotland will be around here soon.

Luncharmstrong Fri 28-Apr-17 08:00:13

Thank you so much for your encouraging reply.
I am really heartened by it
I know my dad would thoroughly approve of me doing it myself.

I hope your get yours sorted out soon.

whataboutbob Fri 28-Apr-17 20:36:02

You are welcome, I am a great believer in the lay person being able to do a lot of jobs it is assumed require a solicitor. If you take it one step at a time and get help eg form websites/ citizen's advice/ helplines (in England there's a probate helpline) it should be OK. Make sure to keep full and clear records as you go along. I always use a dedicated notebook whenever i embark on a big bureaucratic task.

Luncharmstrong Sat 29-Apr-17 00:08:12

That's a good idea about a dedicated notebook.
I got divorced without a solicitor so I should manage this

whataboutbob Sat 29-Apr-17 08:37:02

Definitely!

Bathshebaneverdene Sat 29-Apr-17 08:45:29

I did my DDad's - it was fairly simple, bank accounts, investment accounts, a few shares and property, under IHT levels and everything left to Mum. Our sheriff's office were actually quite helpful - took the first draft in and they had a look at it and tweaked a few things. The thing I did have to change was the list of assets - it needs to be fairly detailed with account numbers, institution, investment name etc. And being the Scottish legal system some of the wording you have to use is a bit archaic!

There are a few online resources but I found citizen's advice absolutely useless. When we submitted the completed paperwork to the local sheriff's office, it was finalised very quickly.

Tootsiepops Sat 29-Apr-17 08:48:50

I wish I'd been able to do it myself. Our solicitor's final bill was £5k angry

whataboutbob Sat 29-Apr-17 10:38:58

Did the estate reach IHT tootsie? Solicitors charge more if it does as it's more work. My dad's will reach IHT and I'm dreading the final bill.

ActuallyThatsSUPREMECommander Sat 29-Apr-17 10:45:18

Which? do quite a good book on DIY probate and since this link here covers Scotland I think their book might to.
www.which.co.uk/money/wills-and-probate/probate/guides/diy-probate

Luncharmstrong Sat 29-Apr-17 16:16:03

More great info. Can't thank you all enough

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now