Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Can a grandparent have PR?

(7 Posts)
user1487854472 Thu 20-Apr-17 20:21:20

I am a single Mum of a 10 month old, and her father has very little to do with her. Maybe seeing her for an hour every couple of weeks (although all attention is aimed at me) He has also been cautioned for an assault on me and has put my daughter at risk more times than I wish to count.

It terrifies me that something could happen to me and my daughter would automatically go to him. My parents have a significant role in my daughters life and see her daily. Is there anyway to get PR for one of my parents also?

Bellaposy Thu 20-Apr-17 20:25:38

In principle anyone can apply for PR but it sounds to me like what you need more is a Will specifying your daughter to go to your parents and a power of attorney.

Also, if your ex has put your child at risk she should not be seeing him or certainly not unsupervised. If she is harmed in his care and SS get involved, you could be criticised for putting her at risk.

newdaylight Thu 20-Apr-17 20:34:34

Does the dad have PR? This is important.

The answer is yes, but there's various ways to go about it. I suggest you ring a family law solicitor. You should be entitled to a free consultation and they will set out the next steps to getting what you think is needed

user1487854472 Thu 20-Apr-17 20:54:39

Yes unfortunately he does have PR as we are still married, but started divorce proceedings.

He doesn't have unsupervised contact at all at present, and certainly won't in future either.

I have a will, but was told that it's basically worthless as he has PR.

prh47bridge Thu 20-Apr-17 22:22:46

If there is a dispute about where your daughter lives if you die the courts will sort it out. They will be concerned with what is best for your daughter's welfare. The fact the father has PR does not mean she will automatically go to him. Unfortunately there is nothing you can do to guarantee she will go to your parents. However, given that your ex does not have unsupervised contact I would expect the courts to favour your parents.

UnbornMortificado Thu 20-Apr-17 22:28:14

I have it written in my will that I wish for my PR for DD2 to go to my husband (not her biological dad)

Although not legally blinding my wishes would be took into account. Her father isn't allowed any access but I've already had threats I hate to imagine what he would do if we applied to get DH PR now.

x2boys Fri 21-Apr-17 09:22:18

anecdotally when my sil died suddenly her children were 18, 9 and 2 the two oldest hasve the same father and the youngest dad hadent seen him since he was a few months old although he did have pr , it was felt to be in the best interest of all three of my sil children to keep them together and the 18 yr old has residency of both her brothers .

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: