We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Can't divorce without marriage certificate

(6 Posts)
Lagirafe Wed 19-Apr-17 20:08:25

I was married abroad and my ex-husband is a national of that country and lives there. We have no contact.

I wish to get divorced but I have tried twice to get a copy of my marriage certificate from the Kenya High Commission and they haven't responded (correct form and few send recorded delivery both times).

Is there anything I can do?

I have given them nearly a year since I first applied for a copy. I applied again in January and no reply.

MrsBertBibby Wed 19-Apr-17 20:09:57

Do you have any kind of copy or record of it?

Crazycatlady83 Wed 19-Apr-17 20:12:07

When you apply for the divorce, file an additional application form D11 (will cost an extra fee of £45 I think) and ask for an order to proceed with the divorce petition without submission of your marriage certificate. Evidence your efforts to get a copy. The application will be placed before the Judge and as long as he/she is satisfied you have made all reasonable efforts to get a copy of the certificate, your petition should be allowed to proceed. Good luck

Lagirafe Wed 19-Apr-17 20:19:20

Unfortunately I have nothing as I left in a hurry (DV issues).

I have the postal tracking for my 2 attempts and I can send off a 3rd and take a copy of the form before I send it perhaps?

Gallavich Wed 19-Apr-17 20:24:24

Would a photocopy of the certificate be sufficient? I'm in a similar situation in that it would be impossible to get a copy of mine

Crazycatlady83 Thu 20-Apr-17 19:16:09

Just explain in your application you have nothing left and the circumstances of your leaving, including everything you have as proof of your attempts to get a copy as an attachment to the application. If you have a photocopy, attach that too but you will still have to do the application as a photocopy on its own is not sufficient (unless the photocopy is certified by a solicitor)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now