Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Can't divorce without marriage certificate

(6 Posts)
Lagirafe Wed 19-Apr-17 20:08:25

I was married abroad and my ex-husband is a national of that country and lives there. We have no contact.

I wish to get divorced but I have tried twice to get a copy of my marriage certificate from the Kenya High Commission and they haven't responded (correct form and few send recorded delivery both times).

Is there anything I can do?

I have given them nearly a year since I first applied for a copy. I applied again in January and no reply.

MrsBertBibby Wed 19-Apr-17 20:09:57

Do you have any kind of copy or record of it?

Crazycatlady83 Wed 19-Apr-17 20:12:07

When you apply for the divorce, file an additional application form D11 (will cost an extra fee of £45 I think) and ask for an order to proceed with the divorce petition without submission of your marriage certificate. Evidence your efforts to get a copy. The application will be placed before the Judge and as long as he/she is satisfied you have made all reasonable efforts to get a copy of the certificate, your petition should be allowed to proceed. Good luck

Lagirafe Wed 19-Apr-17 20:19:20

Unfortunately I have nothing as I left in a hurry (DV issues).

I have the postal tracking for my 2 attempts and I can send off a 3rd and take a copy of the form before I send it perhaps?

Gallavich Wed 19-Apr-17 20:24:24

Would a photocopy of the certificate be sufficient? I'm in a similar situation in that it would be impossible to get a copy of mine

Crazycatlady83 Thu 20-Apr-17 19:16:09

Just explain in your application you have nothing left and the circumstances of your leaving, including everything you have as proof of your attempts to get a copy as an attachment to the application. If you have a photocopy, attach that too but you will still have to do the application as a photocopy on its own is not sufficient (unless the photocopy is certified by a solicitor)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: