Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Probate Q, The sworn oath how long from putting in application does it usually take to come through

(11 Posts)
DavidbowieMime Tue 18-Apr-17 19:17:14

Just wondering time scales, we put application in about 10 days ago...how long before oath gets sent out - just wondering in case it usually comes out soon or is there an issue with our probate application etc.

TheSpottedZebra Tue 18-Apr-17 19:19:18

I've just done one (using the solicitor option) - it took about bang on 10 working days.
It's now just over a week since I sent the oath back...

DavidbowieMime Tue 18-Apr-17 19:28:12

Ok spotted thank you - so to be clear about 10 days after you sent in application you got oath stuff?

TheSpottedZebra Tue 18-Apr-17 19:45:00

10ish working days after the 1st forms were received at the probate office, yes.

TheSpottedZebra Tue 18-Apr-17 19:45:19

It was possibly 11 working days!

DavidbowieMime Tue 18-Apr-17 20:58:02

Thank you so for me any time soon then, once oath sent does that pretty much mean its nearly over? what do they do in probate anyway???

TheSpottedZebra Wed 19-Apr-17 08:38:23

I hope it's nearly over!

Probate is the 'proving of the will', isn't it? So checking (the few that they do check) that all seems ok, hat the will seems valid and that there are no concerns? I don't really know actually!

DavidbowieMime Wed 19-Apr-17 10:04:32

Ours was done by soilcitor so assume they would call them and ask?

I have creditors ( british gas looking at you) who said they would freeze accounts etc for months and then I get a demand notice from BG demanding a huge bill by this weekend!

kath6144 Thu 20-Apr-17 21:18:41

david - have you contacted BG probate dept about the bill, as that sounds wrong.

My DM died last Feb, DB contacted them a week later. Account frozen, I asked him if he needed to tell them we had probate (end of April) but since house was then under offer, he didn't bother until completion day (end of June). We heard nothing in the interim and then got a final bill after completion.

And even better, they wrote to him with a refund in January, as apparently they didn't increase her DD in a timely fashion when they should have done, presumably last winter when she had heating on permanently. Was a nice little bonus long after completion.

They shouldn't be asking you for any payment until probate is granted at the very earliest.

Cant find paperwork, but we had oath info back fairly quickly, within two weeks, was able to sign a week later, and Probate grants recieved about two weeks after that. All very quick.

kath6144 Thu 20-Apr-17 21:21:07

Remember that the timescales since you sent it off include Easter, which takes at least 2 working days out of the picture, maybe 3 as some public sector also have Easter Tuesday off.

DavidBowieMime Fri 21-Apr-17 10:39:10

Thank you kath I rang them yesterday all fired up to argue ( df had an awful time with them) and they said " Yes you will get bills but please ignore the time scale on them, its all blocked for 5 months to give you time to do probate however you ill still get bills" We also manged to knock over £200 off by giving them an up to date meter reading.

Probate oath came in exactly on 10 working days - we swore it this morning, sending it back today.

The place I am worried most about is the self assessment tax dept!!

He was always so ill never able to get self assessment off in time and I know there is a back log with stuff coming through on that.He could owe thousands! Dreading that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now