Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Passport - change of name issues

(17 Posts)
MichaelINeedYou Tue 18-Apr-17 13:11:53

My dh applied for his passport and we've just received a call from a man from Liverpool saying he can't possible change his name to his dw as he's never heard of such things, he has accepted that our marriage certificate is proof of changing his name however according to him only if your the wife taking the husbands name.

This is wrong as we know but he's talking about him needing a deedpoll 😒As a man simply doesn't take the woman's name. We've sent off two letters proof he's using that last name.

Can they actually demand a deedpoll on the basis that he's a man?

MichaelINeedYou Tue 18-Apr-17 17:33:15

B

PossumInAPearTree Tue 18-Apr-17 17:35:54

Probably.

I'll tell you something really daft with passports. I have somehow managed to get a passport in the wrong name. I can't change it to my real name. They've said I have to send in a deed poll certificate. But I can't change my name by deed poll to what it already is! It's a right pita as I now can't use my passport for ID. I'm actually considering changing my name to the name in my passport! grin

CotswoldStrife Tue 18-Apr-17 17:43:56

I'd also say the office is probably right - I'd guess that it is something to do with the name on your birth certificate needing to be used if you don't have an 'officially acceptable' piece of paperwork to say otherwise.

It is an interesting point though - why can't the marriage certificate be used both ways IYSWIM? I don't see why not, but wouldn't be surprised if there is not some obscure official reason why hmm

I assume that Possum has also got a passport in a name that is not on her birth certificate!

PandasRock Tue 18-Apr-17 17:46:37

Oh, another person with passport in wrong name!

My dd2 was renamed by the passport office, and we can't do anything about it. Same thing, we can't change her name, as umm, it's her name, but the passport office have (repeatedly) issued her passport in the wrong name.

They helpfully suggest we amend her birth certificate, to avoid it happening again hmm

So dd2 is destined to either change her name, or go through life with her passport in the wrong name!

dementedpixie Tue 18-Apr-17 17:48:23

www.gov.uk/changing-passport-information/name-marriage-and-civil-partnership - at no point does this say itsbonly applicable to women

dementedpixie Tue 18-Apr-17 17:48:32

It's only*

BramblyHedge Tue 18-Apr-17 17:49:50

Why can't you do a deed poll from the incorrect name to your actual name? I changed my name (wanted my surname as a middle name when i married) by doing my own deed poll and it was easy.

BramblyHedge Tue 18-Apr-17 17:51:25

Sorry that wasn't for the OP but for the following poster. But OP it is easy to do a deed poll if you don't want to to argue the principle.

thatstoast Tue 18-Apr-17 18:01:31

He shouldn't need to do deed poll. Presumably Gay men change their name using a marriage certificate? Question it and complain if necessary.

GrannyD57 Tue 18-Apr-17 18:20:07

I have been married for 25 years but continued to use my maiden name until I retired last year. I thought my wedding certificate would be sufficient to get a new passport in my married name, together with a council tax bill but the passport office also insisted I get a deed poll declaring that I am now known by my married name. I found a form of words on line and a local solicitor charged me £5 to witness it. A bit of a palaver but I got the original back. It may come in handy. Just to confirm that they can be very fussy. That said, the service was very quick.

CotswoldStrife Tue 18-Apr-17 19:01:52

Granny raises a good point, there does seem to be more scrutiny if the name change does not happen quite close to the marriage - I've seen a few people on here who have had to prove that they have been 'using' the name they want the passport in. Has it been a while since your marriage OP?

MichaelINeedYou Tue 18-Apr-17 19:04:07

Rang back and kicked off.

Turns out the very posh sounding bloke on the phone was as I knew completely wrong. They did confirm there was no need for a deedpoll and our marriage certificate was proof of the name change and the letters were proof it's the name he now uses. They'll be talking to the chap and advising him in case he ever sees one again 🤔

They've processed his application and he now has to go for an interview.

MichaelINeedYou Tue 18-Apr-17 19:04:56

No not even a month since we got married

CotswoldStrife Tue 18-Apr-17 19:07:48

Yay for getting it sorted - well done OP!

Congratulations on the very recent marriage!

PossumInAPearTree Tue 18-Apr-17 20:43:45

I cant change my name by deed poll as my name on my birth certificate is right. So a deed poll wouldn't let me (so I've been told) change my name to the same name. There needs to be a different name. I don't want a different name. I'm happy with the name on my birth certificate.

I have bank accounts, birth certificate and driving licence in one name and my passport in another name. I have to be careful when goi g on holiday to book tickets in my passport name and also travel insurance.

I once had travel insurance in my birth certificate name, had an accident. That name was on all the hospital paperwork. Took some persuading to get the insurance company to pay out and when they did they wrote a cheque to my passport name and I don't have a bank account in that name!

pandas if you ever find a solution let me know!

op. Am glad you're sorted.

MichaelINeedYou Tue 18-Apr-17 23:04:55

You can do a free deedpoll at freedeedpoll.org.uk could you put in your passport name print it then do one from that to your actual name just for the passport office

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now