Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Possession cocaine - Scotland

(2 Posts)
dogloverxoxo Mon 17-Apr-17 21:20:07

I need legal advice (sort of) or advice from someone who has perhaps been through a similar thing.

My OH was caught with a small amount of cocaine at the weekend (he is the biggest idiot and he knows that!! I didn't even know he took anything in the first place and am very anti drugs) he says that he has genuinely has only taken the stuff a handful of times in his life and typical this one time he is caught, I do believe him on that as he is generally truthful and not like that at all. I am now terrified for him having a criminal record and ruining his life over this daft drunken mistake and so is he, he has been in tears all weekend. He has no previous convictions and is a graduate starting a new career ect. He says it was around £20-£30 worth, he was caught as he fell asleep waiting on a taxi alone (I mention this as I'm not sure if amount/circumstances of search are relevant to the outcome)

what is the likelihood of receiving a punishment that won't result in a criminal conviction (e.g a fine, a work order ect)

Thank you for your time and help

prh47bridge Tue 18-Apr-17 09:24:52

Cocaine is a class A drug. I am in England but this page from a Scottish lawyer suggests that possession of a class A drug is almost always prosecuted. As this is a first offence and the amount was small the likely outcome is a fine but I'm afraid he will probably get a criminal record.

A conviction won't necessarily ruin his life. He won't have to disclose it forever and many employers will be willing to overlook a single conviction for possession of drugs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now