Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Family Court

(9 Posts)
TruthSayer Fri 14-Apr-17 22:45:43

Stressed beyond belief.

Going through a divorce. My ex was abusive and didn't treat my boys well on the last visit - he has threatened me with family court over access and says he can't wait to tell the truth about me in court.

I am honestly trying my best. I don't want my kids coming home in tears or being frightened of someone who is supposed to love and protect them.

I have stopped contact because he frightened them by shouting at them (aged 10 and 8).

What happens at family court? Do we have to give evidence? I can't sleep with worrying.

I've been in family court a lot (have had sole custody of my teenager for 6 years) We were assigned a Cafcass court guardian to represent my child and they are there to make sure the children gets what is best for them. Can't quite remember what Cafcass stands for - google them. You only have to give evidence if there is what is called a fact find. There has to be serious allegations for that to happen. The courts and Cafcass have huge experience of bitter exes making untrue allegations and in my experience are fantastic. The rules for legal aid have changed since I was in this position. Has there been any incidences of dv in your relationship?

TruthSayer Fri 14-Apr-17 23:21:59

Hi Kitten

Thanks for your advice. I got out on the first instance of DV although there was financial and emotional abuse too. I have had legal aid so far.

That's good then. I was my solicitors longest ever client! She was fantastic and the barrister I had also was brilliant. They help and guide you through the process. My court guardian was very supportive too. She could sniff bullshit a 100 miles away. Although the prospect of court seems very scary it is absolutely about what's best for the children. I've known of a few cases where the ex partner (men and women) have lied to the court and I've never known it to result in success. Good luck xx

TruthSayer Sat 15-Apr-17 00:20:00

Thanks Kitten

The thing about him 'telling the truth' feels like a threat. I have no idea what he is going to say but would bet my last pound that it will be a half truth at best.

I have tried to be nice and fair but he seems to be playing by a different set of rules.

I have never known him to be so nasty and vindictive I guess his true colours are showing.

Thanks again

TruthSayer Sat 15-Apr-17 18:52:54

Oh my goodness I have been reading previous posts about other people's experiences. Has anyone had a good experience at family court? Does anyone have any advice?

Whereismumhiding2 Sun 23-Apr-17 15:20:05

Poor you OP. Abusive men (& women) often try to use family courts to continue the abuse. Carcass will talk to DC and what they say will form part of fact find. Child court is stressful and i bet he'll make up a load of stuff. Expect that, put your replies in in time stating his allegations are untrue (if he makes any), be factual about his a past and present behaviour and get as much support as you can x flowers

Alibob11 Sun 23-Apr-17 19:41:29

Thank you.... I have stopped contact as he shouted and frightened the kids. He has told me he is going to tell everyone the truth when we get to court... but his truth is to blame everything on me. I am fed up with it all now tbh

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Sun 23-Apr-17 19:46:44

Good advice. . . Don't play fair or nice. . You need your hard bitch head on or he will try and walk all over you and grind you down. .
But don't worry - your lioness will come out and you will win. . I promise you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now