Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Neighbours tree in my garden

(5 Posts)
Fencetroubles Fri 14-Apr-17 11:41:58

What is the situation legally if my neighbour plants a tree against his fence and then over years the fence rots. The tree trunk swells so that it now encroaches on my land. I don't really want to insist the tree is removed but if I leave it the trunk will swell further and encroach further.

Collaborate Fri 14-Apr-17 16:32:09

If the fence is yours you can get them to replace it. Shave a bit off every time it crosses the boundary.

Fencetroubles Fri 14-Apr-17 18:27:26

The fence is theirs but now the tree trunk is so large they can't put the new fence behind it, only up to the tree either side, so now half the tree trunk is in my garden. I don't want it.

Collaborate Fri 14-Apr-17 20:46:55

Tell them you don't want their tree to encroach in to your garden, and give them the opportunity to suggest how that might be achieved. Either they take the tree down, or you'll have to slice vertically in to the tree.

disappearingfish Sat 15-Apr-17 20:26:04

Is it causing you a particular problem?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now