Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Am I just going to have to suck up and pay this parking fine?

(8 Posts)
Beeswax2017 Thu 13-Apr-17 18:56:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

iwantavuvezela Thu 13-Apr-17 18:59:49

You could write to them and see if they will let you off. It's worth a try. If the sign as you entered wasn't clear that it was 15 minutes Only you can mention that as well as the signage needs to be clear. I have written before regarding poor signage and been let off.
Good luck.

llangennith Thu 13-Apr-17 19:07:24

Is there a reduction in the cost of the fine if you pay within, say, 14 days?

Beeswax2017 Fri 14-Apr-17 09:28:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tribpot Fri 14-Apr-17 09:32:51

I received a 'fine' (it's not actually a fine) for a hire car that had been parked in an Asda car park before I hired it. I panicked and paid it, thinking it would be better to try and sort it out afterwards - this was against the good advice of MN at the time and I should have listened. I got the hire company to admit liability within a few weeks and so could have avoided the 'fine' entirely.

Have a read of the MoneySavingExpert guide to private parking tickets but I would start off with an appeal to the owners of the car park, explaining the situation.

iloveabagido Fri 14-Apr-17 10:02:25

Yes, as PP mentioned. Check out the money saving expert website. Sounds like it's a non enforceable charge. There's a subtle difference in the wording: parking charge notice/penalty charge notice/etc. flowers hope your DC is ok

thatcoldfeeling Fri 14-Apr-17 10:11:13

I've just ignored a parking fine I got in December - not exactly on purpose but I kept forgetting and have been distracted, I haven't heard a single thing about it since, no chasing letter or anything. This thread just reminded me.
Also in more 'on the ball' moments I have contested a parking fine when I parked 'in the wrong bit of the car park' hmm (not in a disabled bay or anything but apparently in a part that was for employees only, but signage was a bit rubbish). We did have a bit of an exchange of letters but they dropped it. Well worth trying to contest sounds v. excessive and unfair and I hope your situation generally gets better too - I am sure this is actually the last thing you need.

Pootle40 Fri 14-Apr-17 10:14:22

i would ignore it and have done myself in the past. I did hear of one case where a girl in Dundee ( I think) was a heavy repeat offender and had racked up £24,000 in fines from one of these companies - can only assume she used it every day?!?! anyway a court has just ordered her to pay it however I can see why the company would have taken her to court given the amounts involved. Cant see they will ever do the same over £60 or £100 - it would cost them more.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: