Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Am I just going to have to suck up and pay this parking fine?

(8 Posts)
LivinLaVidaLoki Thu 13-Apr-17 18:56:40

Basically DS has had a bit of trouble at school. He's struggling to cope with family tragedy after family tragedy...seriously you couldn't make it up.

I was waiting all day for a call from his teacher not long ago and she finally called as I was leaving work.

Obviously it's not safe to use mobile while driving so I pulled into a car park. As I was leaving I noticed a sign saying "customer parking only 15 minutes drop off" TBH I thought I'd been less than 15 minutes. Turns out I'd been 19. Get a ticket from some parking company through the post today.

I know my reasoning for pulling into the car park may not have sounded important to some people but I was worried about DS and thought I was doing the right thing. But sixty quid for four minutes seems excessive.

Any advice or do I just have to pay up?

iwantavuvezela Thu 13-Apr-17 18:59:49

You could write to them and see if they will let you off. It's worth a try. If the sign as you entered wasn't clear that it was 15 minutes Only you can mention that as well as the signage needs to be clear. I have written before regarding poor signage and been let off.
Good luck.

llangennith Thu 13-Apr-17 19:07:24

Is there a reduction in the cost of the fine if you pay within, say, 14 days?

LivinLaVidaLoki Fri 14-Apr-17 09:28:06

Yes llangennith it's 60 if I pay within 14 days of the letter (so just over a week) then it goes up to 100.

tribpot Fri 14-Apr-17 09:32:51

I received a 'fine' (it's not actually a fine) for a hire car that had been parked in an Asda car park before I hired it. I panicked and paid it, thinking it would be better to try and sort it out afterwards - this was against the good advice of MN at the time and I should have listened. I got the hire company to admit liability within a few weeks and so could have avoided the 'fine' entirely.

Have a read of the MoneySavingExpert guide to private parking tickets but I would start off with an appeal to the owners of the car park, explaining the situation.

iloveabagido Fri 14-Apr-17 10:02:25

Yes, as PP mentioned. Check out the money saving expert website. Sounds like it's a non enforceable charge. There's a subtle difference in the wording: parking charge notice/penalty charge notice/etc. flowers hope your DC is ok

thatcoldfeeling Fri 14-Apr-17 10:11:13

I've just ignored a parking fine I got in December - not exactly on purpose but I kept forgetting and have been distracted, I haven't heard a single thing about it since, no chasing letter or anything. This thread just reminded me.
Also in more 'on the ball' moments I have contested a parking fine when I parked 'in the wrong bit of the car park' hmm (not in a disabled bay or anything but apparently in a part that was for employees only, but signage was a bit rubbish). We did have a bit of an exchange of letters but they dropped it. Well worth trying to contest sounds v. excessive and unfair and I hope your situation generally gets better too - I am sure this is actually the last thing you need.

Pootle40 Fri 14-Apr-17 10:14:22

i would ignore it and have done myself in the past. I did hear of one case where a girl in Dundee ( I think) was a heavy repeat offender and had racked up £24,000 in fines from one of these companies - can only assume she used it every day?!?! anyway a court has just ordered her to pay it however I can see why the company would have taken her to court given the amounts involved. Cant see they will ever do the same over £60 or £100 - it would cost them more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now