We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Forced house sale

(12 Posts)
Knittedfrog Tue 11-Apr-17 06:29:15

I want to separate from my husband. I'm going to move out. He can't afford the mortgage for various reasons. Can I insist we sell the house?

MovingtoParadise Tue 11-Apr-17 06:48:04

It will take years if he's obstructive. Is the mortgage in both your names?

Can you afford it on your own? What about if you got a lodger? Could you afford it then?

Knittedfrog Tue 11-Apr-17 06:51:52

I can't afford it on my own and I just want out. He left his job and spent all the redundancy money so we are selling stuff to live. My job doesn't start for a couple of weeks and is low paid. Mortgage is in both our names. It's such a bloody mess.

Knittedfrog Tue 11-Apr-17 06:59:09

Surely it's best to sell than wait for repossession?

dancingqueen345 Tue 11-Apr-17 07:04:04

Definitely better to try and sell rather than allow it to be repossessed which will have massive implications on both your credit scores for years! Even if it meant pricing slightly lower that's what I would do.

Even if it sold tomorrow could you afford to pay the mortgage for another couple of months whilst it all goes through?

Has he said he won't sell??

llangennith Tue 11-Apr-17 07:04:14

Let your mortgage company know exactly what is going on. They may suggest to you both that you sell.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 11-Apr-17 07:11:09

Yes you can but as said previously, it may take years. The first step is to apply for your Divorce.. You'll probably be eligible for help with the court fee if neither of you are working.

You don't need a Solicitor to apply but I would recommend getting legal advice over the home.

Knittedfrog Tue 11-Apr-17 07:27:23

Thank you for your replies. He doesn't really take any notice of me when I say we should sell it.
My daughter (adult) is leaving in a couple of weeks on a long trip so I plan to tell him I'm leaving then.
Hoping to stay with family while I get sorted and start my job but I'm still liable for half the mortgage which is why I want it sold. Otherwise I'll be saddled with debt and arrears while trying to make a life for myself and my daughter when she returns.
It's all such a mess I don't know where to start and feel I can't do anything until I've started earning money.
I know it's all a bit vague and hard to piece together but any advice is truly appreciated.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 11-Apr-17 20:20:17

Have you told him you are leaving @Knittedfrog?

Knittedfrog Tue 11-Apr-17 20:35:32

Not told him I want out because we can't afford the mortgage whether I stay or go.
I need to leave but can't afford half the mortgage/bills as well as my own rented place.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 11-Apr-17 21:14:51

So what are you going to do?

Knittedfrog Wed 12-Apr-17 06:57:49

I really don't know. I'm desperately unhappy. Have a job but haven't started yet, have no money, can only go to my sisters if she'll have me.
I just can't see a way out or a future for myself anywhere.
I never thought I would end up in such mess with no way out.
I've told him we need to sell the house but he insists he'll get a job and we won't have to. He's been saying that for ages and the money we have left is really not much, maybe a couple of months worth of living.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now