Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Can car dealer do this?

(6 Posts)
SweetieBaby Sun 09-Apr-17 00:51:55

Saw a used car in a dealer's on Thursday, ideal for my daughter who has just passed her test. Asked every question I could think of regarding service history, paperwork etc. The only issue raised was that it was missing "a couple of service stamps". Phoned Friday to check it was ok to collect Saturday and told them I was about to insure. Told everything was good to go. Husband phoned them to ask for ref number on V5 so we could tax itand the salesman said he didn't have it to hand but would give it to us on Saturday and we could ring DVLA to tax it.

Went to garage to pick it up Saturday, filled out paperwork, paid for car and then got given a form to tax car at local post office. Turns out he doesn't have the V5 and says it was destroyed in a recent burglary - has another 7 or 8 cars like it. Tried to tax it but post office can't do it without V5 so car is now left at the dealers until we can get replacement V5.

Question is what do I do? He has clearly misled us. But if I demand my money back now I will lose money on the insurance. Have done HPI checks etc and car isn't stolen, subject to finance etc.

I am so upset. This is quite a lot of money for us and I have no trust in this company now.

WeAreEternal Sun 09-Apr-17 16:57:09

If you took out the insurance policy less than 14 days ago you are still within the cooling off period and can cancel it.

I would do this and tell him you don't want the car and you want your money back.

DameXanaduBramble Sun 09-Apr-17 16:58:47

You can get a replacement for £25, I just have because I'd lost mine. I quick phone call is all it needs from him.

DameXanaduBramble Sun 09-Apr-17 16:59:56

Obviously it will come to light if he's not the registered owner when he squirms and can't do it, but that's your answer.

GahBuggerit Sun 09-Apr-17 17:05:45

Cancel the sale, sounds pretty dodgy at worst, disorganised at best. Either way not someone I'd want a car from.

LIZS Sun 09-Apr-17 17:10:57

And as a dealer he hasn't yet applied for replacements hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now