Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Gifts and family items passed on

(6 Posts)
FancyPantsDelacroixTheFirst Sat 08-Apr-17 17:48:49

We have received a curt demand from my MIL for the return of some family photos and mementos, after a family fall out, to be returned by a certain date or "legal steps will be taken".

These were given to us, without any conditions being stated, some years ago because MIL "didn't have room".

We've returned everything except the things that belonged to DH's late father, before marriage, and his paternal grandparents from any period.

The whole situation sits somewhere between horrible and ridiculous. A bit of googling suggests that there aren't any legal steps MIL could use to get back what was given freely, is this right? Anyone have any experience in area?

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Sat 08-Apr-17 17:51:04

Tell her to politely go away.
Or fuck off.
Whichever is the most tempting.
Doesn't sound like any of it was ever hers to claim back. .
Unhinged woman.

FancyPantsDelacroixTheFirst Sat 08-Apr-17 17:55:05

grin Well, I politely told her that I wouldn't be sworn at and when she kept at it put the phone down on her, which is the snowball that started the avalanche iykwim.

FancyPantsDelacroixTheFirst Sat 08-Apr-17 18:01:00

In case my last post is confusing, the sequence of events was: she had a good swear at me, I put the phone down on her, she got the hump and stopped talking to us( except for making the demand) and DH sent back some stuff, but not all.

fannydaggerz Sat 08-Apr-17 18:04:36

I wouldn't have sent back any of it. It's yours.

FancyPantsDelacroixTheFirst Sat 08-Apr-17 18:21:26

Well the stuff we sent back was mostly album after album of fuzzy distance shots of people on beaches, or in front of landmarks and his maternal granddad's "interesting things I saw on my milk round" pics. No great loss really. Just waiting to see if other things will be demanded.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now