Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Legal Costs

(4 Posts)
mytimewillcome Sat 08-Apr-17 11:27:48

I am currently buying out my brother for his share of the house. It has taken a long time to get to this stage and there have been legal costs (as well as other costs) on both sides and we've had to resort to solicitors to help us as we can't do it ourselves. He has offered me a reasonable sum to buy him out but wants me to pay his legal costs. Do I have to? He has said that if I don't agree we will have to go to court where the court may say sell the house and split the proceeds. Which could happen. So I could call his bluff and say no but it's a risk.

Collaborate Sat 08-Apr-17 15:44:09

He would lose out too. I'd call his bluff, but you know him best.

Allthebestnamesareused Mon 10-Apr-17 16:16:15

Tell him to go to court; that you will inform court of the offer to buy him out and in that case it is likely he'd have to pay all the court costs!

mytimewillcome Mon 10-Apr-17 18:11:59

Thank you both. I'm not going to pay them. Costs have been incurred on both sides. We should just pay our own. They haven't even told me what the costs are but expect me to agree!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now