Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

House on seperation

(6 Posts)
pinkkoala Fri 07-Apr-17 15:19:53

Hi i am looking for some advice and what would normally happen.
We have joint mortage, i would like him to leave and me and dd to stay in house, he was always main earner i earnt part time money but have been main carer for dd. I can pay each mortage payment a month but wouldnt be able to take whole mortage in my own right.
I would like to stay until dd leaves full time education then sell. He wants us both to sell now.
He earns a lot more than me and with equity he would get another mortage on his own. I wont.
Also what does he have to provide for dd, would he have to pay mortage or pay child support.
I also dont earn alot and would struggle with long drawn out solicitor fees. What is a legal seperation, we are married.

prh47bridge Fri 07-Apr-17 16:32:51

As you are married the house is an asset of the marriage and would go into the pot to be split between you. Based on what you have posted here you may be entitled to more than 50% of the assets but no-one on here can tell you exactly what you will get. I strongly suggest you consult a solicitor. You may be able to find one that will give you an initial half hour consultation for free.

pinkkoala Fri 07-Apr-17 21:48:18

But would that mean i would have to sell now or wait till dd left school. I dont want to disrupt her schooling.

babybarrister Fri 07-Apr-17 22:10:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pinkkoala Tue 16-May-17 10:21:03

Hi babybarrister.
I am in northampton. I have tried ringing round loads of solicitors and they all seem to charge the earth and can't find any initial free half hour.
Please can you let me know as I am desperate now.

MrsBertBibby Tue 16-May-17 11:23:17

The half hour free interview is rarely tremendously useful in terms of detailed advice. We do them, usually by phone, mainly to give info about costs, weed out any one-line answer questions (my personal favourite was the guy who wanted me to make his girlfriend have an abortion) and to steer people to mediation or legal aid firms or other advice agencies if that's suitable. And to help the client feel they want to trust us with their case. No solicitor, not even me at full speed and maximum caffeine, can take all the information needed and provide full advice on likely outcome in 30 minutes in a case like yours. You need to grit your teeth and pay for a proper appointment.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: