Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

How would I find out if my Mum made a will?

(6 Posts)
Tiredemma Sun 02-Apr-17 15:45:28

My Mum passed away at the end of Feb. My relationship with her husband (not my DF) has always been quite fraught and I have generally tolerated him for her sake.

Her death was unexpected and we never really got around to talking about what would happen in the event of her passing away.

I do not want to go directly to her husband to ask if she had a will as it may make our relationship even worse.

I only really want to know about her wedding ring from her marriage to my Dad. I would like it for my daughter if possible but cant think how I would approach this without it seeming to him that I am perhaps grasping a bit.

I know that I can get a copy of a will after it has gone to probate etc but what if that will is never presented? Based on our relationship I am not sure I would trust her husband to be honest about one that she may have?

Tiredemma Tue 04-Apr-17 18:06:14

anyone?

Sofabitch Tue 04-Apr-17 18:08:20

If you only want the ring just ask?

I believe only the executors of the will can see it before probate.

Tiredemma Tue 04-Apr-17 18:13:30

I mentioned her jewellery a few days after she passed away and he literally looked at me like I had two heads and ignored me. I cant deal with him.

prh47bridge Tue 04-Apr-17 18:53:41

There is no central register of wills so I'm afraid there is no way of finding out unless the executor applies for probate.

Tiredemma Tue 04-Apr-17 19:49:22

Thanks.

Ive just texted him and asked if i can have the ring for my daughter. He replied 'yes',

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now