Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Off plan purchase and loss of deposit

(10 Posts)
Ithinkihavemugwrittenonmyhead Thu 30-Mar-17 19:16:51

Namechanged for this.

Really need advise before I spend money I haven't got on small claims.

So reserved an off plan property (paid £5k to reserve) it went over to my solicitors to exchange contracts. The agreement was the reservation period was 28 days for my solicitor to conduct due diligence, if anything untoward showed up during the 28 days I could get a full refund.

28 days passed yesterday and my solicitors have not received a single response from the builders solicitors. Chased this up to be told they can extend my deadline to exchange by an extra 28 days however as I am now outside of the reservation period if I decide to withdraw from the purchase my £5k will not be refunded.

Does this sound fair? Would I stand a chance of getting the deposit returned?

Allthebestnamesareused Thu 30-Mar-17 19:25:35

I would argue that unless and until they respond to the questions they have not enabled the due diligence to take place.

SlinkyTink Thu 30-Mar-17 19:35:19

How long had they had the paperwork from your solicitor?

Ithinkihavemugwrittenonmyhead Thu 30-Mar-17 19:43:54

Contracts received by my solicitor on day 6 and responded to within 2 days with enquiries. My Solicitor has chased response 3 times.

SlinkyTink Thu 30-Mar-17 19:52:11

Blimey that's loads of time for them to have responded.

Ithinkihavemugwrittenonmyhead Thu 30-Mar-17 20:28:30

I know! Don't know what to do!

SlinkyTink Thu 30-Mar-17 20:52:04

Sorry I can't help but I'll bump the thread for you! Hopefully someone who know what they are talking about will come along.

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Thu 30-Mar-17 20:54:08

So you get a refund is anything "untoward" shows up.
I think the builder solicitors nor responding is pretty untoward

Ithinkihavemugwrittenonmyhead Thu 30-Mar-17 21:17:20

That's what I thought but as my solicitors have raised this After the 28 day period has ended they are saying I cannot get a refund

Collaborate Thu 30-Mar-17 23:55:13

Is this a scam?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now