Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Sanctions for continuous breach of court deadlines?

(4 Posts)
samanthamplified Thu 30-Mar-17 14:37:35

Hello,

I'm a litigant in person and the opposition party solicitors have since the beginning of these proceedings continuously breached court order deadlines.

They are always late often by weeks, provide no explanations, only reply to my chasing emails after 3-4 have been sent.

They've previously mislead me on a matter (can prove) and also lied to my face (cannot prove).

Their conduct in general has been really poor.

Is there anything I can apply the court sanction them with?

It seems they can do what they want and nothing will happen...

What's the solicitor's way to deal with this?
(Apologies but I cannot afford one to find out properly)

Thanks!

samanthamplified Mon 10-Apr-17 10:35:37

Anybody?

andintothefire Mon 10-Apr-17 12:06:56

It would help if you could give some examples of the court order deadlines that have been breached, and also the kind of proceedings you are engaged in. For example, have they failed to file witness statements on time? There may be automatic consequences of breach set out in the order itself or in the applicable court rules (for example not being able to rely on late filed witness statements) and they would need to apply for "relief from sanction" if they want to rely on those documents despite their breach.

Are there any other hearings coming up? Could you bring it to the court's attention? They do need to comply with the deadlines in any court orders. Their conduct may also be taken into account on any issue of costs.

samanthamplified Mon 10-Apr-17 17:29:57

Family
Docs like statements of case, witness statements
Order does not mention consequences
A trial is coming up
Court is aware of their conduct already
No applications made for extensions

Do I need to make an application for the Court to consider imposing sanctions such as not allow statements and witness statements?

Or

Would a letter to a Judge suffice?

Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now