Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Can you evict livestock?

(4 Posts)
Trethew Thu 23-Mar-17 12:03:31

Posting for neighbour who doesn't do mumsnet.

Neighbour rented out field and stables. Written agreement stated tenancy ends 31 march and tenant must remove all livestock, equipment and rubbish. Tenant now says she cannot find anywhere else for the horses and has just taken delivery of about a month's worth of hay. Rent has been paid regularly. Neighbour feels tenant not taking situation seriously and doubts she is making serious efforts to find alternative accommodation.

What can neighbour do to get them gone?

Frouby Thu 23-Mar-17 12:11:34

Does your neighbour have a land agent? They might be able to help. Has the neighbour served any kind of notice?

Trethew Thu 23-Mar-17 12:15:32

No land agent. Written agreement drawn up at kitchen table and signed by both parties. Pretty sure she hasn't served any formal notice but has reminded tenant several times that she needs to go

Frouby Thu 23-Mar-17 13:46:51

Sure she needs to serve formal notice. And I seem to recall when stock has been grazing the land constantly without a break that the rules are different. I am sure she has to give 12 months notice. Tho am not sure if horses are classed as agricultural animals for this purpose.

I would advise your neighbour to see a solicitor that deals with this kind of thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now