Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Legal aid. Divorce and domestic abuse

(6 Posts)
Bumpy4me Thu 16-Mar-17 17:19:54

I'm currently getting legal aid for a case against my ex but I also need to divorce my previous longer term ex of many yrs. I received medical help for depression and anxiety relating to the domestic abuse a while after the split. I've got my doctors records but as my original doctor is now absent and I've since moved I can't get a statement signed to apply for legal aid. This is what the CAB solicitor needs. Could I ask my solicitor I'm using for the other case to help with my divorce? Or is it cheeky to ask? My ex husband will not pay nor give me his current address so I'm to send papers to his friends house. I've not known his whereabouts for 3 yrs now as he went on the run from his problems and family. Sorry it's long winded and I hope it makes sense. Any advice would be great thanks

Familylawsolicitor Thu 16-Mar-17 19:03:59

Your current doctor should be able to sign the legal aid letter based on what is on your records.
Your current solicitor will not get paid for the divorce as your current legal aid cert won't cover it so you would effectively be asking him or her to work for free.

MrsBertBibby Thu 16-Mar-17 19:04:45

To get legal aid the dv has to have emanated from the other party. You can't get legal aid to divorce ex 1 on the basis of violence by ex 2.

Bumpy4me Thu 16-Mar-17 19:20:24

Ex one I received domestic abuse And ex two. Two different types two different issues. Just thought I'd ask. I've emailed the solicitor anyway to see what he says. He's works on behalf of a womens service team. My current doctors are useless and thing that by providing a print out of my medical history will do but not so.
I guess the best answer will be from my current solicitor

Bumpy4me Thu 16-Mar-17 19:22:30

Thanks familylawsolicitor if they can't help then hopefully they can point me in the right direction.

Familylawsolicitor Thu 16-Mar-17 20:36:02

Link to the sample letters to be provided by health professionals for DV evidence. As I understand it, if it's not word for word it will often be a case of computer says no from the legal aid agency.

Don't actually do legal aid work myself but I volunteer (as a solicitor) for an organisation where I refer people to legal aid solicitors a lot.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: