Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Can I get a divorce ?

(4 Posts)
user1489521504 Tue 14-Mar-17 20:13:12

I'm posting here for advice , I'm in a bit of a pickle tbh . I'm 23 with three small children and I've been married for 5 years .

My husband has been violent to me on occasion , but not for over two years now . I desperately want a divorce . I am happy to continue living with him until he has found a place of his own and we have agreed to do this , I wouldn't dream of making him homeless for the children's sake.

I am a sahm , I have no qualifications or experience so getting any sort of job is proving extremely difficult but I am going to start a college course in September . My husband works but is on a low income and we get child tax credits and housing benefit . We are separated but live together currently meaning that I can't claim income support as a single parent or anything else to help.

My problem is that I don't know how to go about getting help with legal fees and court costs - I would be eligible for help with court costs and possible legal aid if I could claim income support but I can't do that because he is still living here . Does anyone have any suggestions of help I may be entitled to ? Also is the historical domestic violence grounds for divorce ?
Please don't say to either stay married or kick him out because neither are an option . I cannot cope anymore with him having this 'claim' over me .

RedHelenB Thu 16-Mar-17 09:47:58

Were the police involved re the domestic violence?

If you both agree to a divorce and how often he sees the children and have no assets/low incomes you can do it fairly cheaply. The expense comes regarding disputes re children/finances.

thethoughtfox Thu 16-Mar-17 11:23:14

You can't put everyone first or everyone loses. Prioritise: put yourself and your children and your safety first. Your husband is an adult who can make choices for, and take care of, himself. You children only have you to keep them safe and out of a toxic environment.

user1489521504 Thu 16-Mar-17 12:00:07

Yes , the police were involved several times and he was charged once

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now