Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

What are the legalities involved in a 5 year old living with a grandparent temporarily?

(5 Posts)
LostQueen Mon 13-Mar-17 14:07:55

I'm in a bit of a tricky situation. I currently live abroad with my almost 5 year old. Her father is NC. I have to finish out my contact here which ends next summer but I don't want my daughter to remain with me for the remainder of my time here for various reasons. Before we moved, my mother and I raised her together. My mum was the other parent so to speak as she took on everything that my dds father wasn't. She is the only person on the earth I would trust with my daughter. We would be apart for the best part of a year and it would kill me but for reasons I don't want to get into, it is 100% for the best if I see out the rest of the time here alone. What I'm not sure of is, how do I go about that? What are the legal implications of my mother looking after dd? What do I have to say to the LA and/or to social services? It would be for less than a year (9 months and 1 week to be precise). I just want the best for my little girl and this is the only way I can see myself being able to do what's best for her in the long term. Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

MrsBertBibby Mon 13-Mar-17 21:30:56

You don't need to involve the authorities at all.

www.fosterline.info/kinship-care-friends-and-family-care/

TeaBelle Mon 13-Mar-17 21:35:07

You don't need to tell anyone as your mum would be considered close family, but it would be worth writing a brief letter setting out that you are delegating parental consent to your mother for issues such as dental treatment, non emergency medical treatment, school trips etc

MrsBertBibby Mon 13-Mar-17 21:54:45

Assuming "home" is England /Wales, that is.

LostQueen Tue 14-Mar-17 02:11:17

Thank you very much for your replies. Sorry I should have specified, yes home is the UK. Thanks again, I really appreciate it. I am going. To get the ball rolling on school applications for her this week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now