Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Parental responsibility order for step parent?

(3 Posts)
Pineapple11 Thu 09-Mar-17 00:08:51

I'm just looking into ways my partner could gain PR for my children as a step parent. I'm slightly confused and wondered if anyone can help by explaining the parental responsibility order for me? From what I can see online it says an order can be made to court by a step parent to also gain PR in addition to parents is this correct?
Also for the process I saw a copy has to be given to the other parent but what happens when you have no contact and no idea where he is? My children's bio dad is on one birth certificate (also have a residency order) but not the other, we were unmarried and have had no contact for 8-9 years. He has no idea where we are due to fleeing as there was domestic violence. I just wondered if it was possible to gain step parent PR when we have no idea of his whereabouts and also if it can be done without giving away where we live etc as I also need to protect the kids. If not I will just have to keep things as they are.

prh47bridge Thu 09-Mar-17 08:11:12

If you are married or in a civil partnership with your partner they can get PR by court order. If you are not married or in a civil partnership you cannot get a PR order. It may, however, be possible for you and your partner to adopt your child as a way of giving PR to your partner.

If you don't know where your child's father is you will have to show the courts that you have made all reasonable efforts to trace him. It is possible to get an order without disclosing your address to your ex.

Marilynsbigsister Fri 10-Mar-17 19:33:38

Your first step is to get married. You don't need a big fancy wedding. Mid week at the registry office with all paperwork and 10 guests costs £220. Until that point your partner is not your child's 'step-father' he is simply your child's mothers boyfriend /partner. Once married he can apply for PR and it's fairly straightforward but you MUST show the court your have made reasonable attempts to track down the father.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: