Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

cancellation for services

(5 Posts)
Hrumphing Tue 07-Mar-17 20:37:22

We have made an error with a booking for one of these experience days. The terms and conditions state you need to 'give 7 days notice to cancel' in order to not lose the deposit. The day was meant to be on this coming Thursday but due to family illness we have to cancel. We sent an email cancelling in the evening of last Thursday. The company say they didnt get this until Friday morning and therefore it is only 6 days notice. They say they wont give us the deposit back. I think we sent on Thursday so we were within the time limit.
Does anyone know who is right?
Thanks!

Minniemagoo Tue 07-Mar-17 20:41:06

When on Thursday was it sent? If during business hours, ie before 5pm you are right, if 11pm at night they are.
Still bad form from the company to do this especially as you were cancelling for illness.

prh47bridge Tue 07-Mar-17 22:47:03

Notice is usually taken as being served on the date on which it was received, not the date it was sent, which would suggest that the company is correct. However, it depends on exactly what the contract (i.e. the terms and conditions) say. If, for example, they say that any notice sent by email is deemed to be received on the day it was sent, you would be correct.

Assuming the company is correct, you may be able to negotiate with them on this, especially if you intend to rebook the experience.

Hrumphing Tue 07-Mar-17 23:14:30

Thanks. It was in the evening and aounds like they are right. I cant find anything in the terms and conditions to specify other than '7 days notice'. However I will see if I can negotiate if we rebook.

AnguaResurgam Wed 08-Mar-17 06:16:48

It means they need to receive it, whilst they are open, no later than the final day. Because the 7 days are their days IYSWIM (not yours) and the clock starts when they know.

It predates the internet. You couldn't give 7 days notice by letter even with proof of posting on date X if the recipient wouldn't receive it for a day or even several days whilst it was in the post.

I hope the ill person recovers well and quickly. You might have a better chance of securing a compassionate refund than arguing about the notice period. Or can you give the booking to someone else?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now