Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

how can I be a personal representative-have I done it wrong?

(6 Posts)
sippysoppy Sun 05-Mar-17 18:51:05

I lost my brother a few weeks ago, who was wealthy with property and investments so the estate is around £500,000. he had no wife or children and died intestate, so my very elderly parents in their 90's are next of kin
however they cant face applying for letters of administration and I wish to be the personal representative-I know we will need a solicitor, but I've already been to the banks and utilities to notify them-have I been ok to do this and how will I become the representative? my parents are happy for me to do it and there's no other siblings

CatsDogsandDC Sun 05-Mar-17 19:56:55

i don't think you have a choice except to get letters of admin with an estate that size. Link [[]]w re what to do.

I can't see a problem with you telling banks etc but they will just freeze he accounts and wait for a proper grant of representation. TBH I would hand it all over to a solicitor esp as there will be inheritance tax. I did my dad's estate and it was a real faff. For my mum' estate I had learned my lesson and used a solicitor.

MrsNuckyThompson Sun 05-Mar-17 20:03:31

Agree with PP. DH and I are both solicitors and so he reckoned it would be easy enough to sort out his DM's estate. The time and faff involved was nonsensical. Given the size of the estate paying a small amount of it over to have this dealt with professionally seems worth it to me.

I'm very sorry about your brother. flowers

sippysoppy Sun 05-Mar-17 20:26:51

thanks, we are definitely getting a solicitor, but will I be able to be administrator if I'm not next of kin? and will it be ok that I signed the papers at the bank where I think I said I was the representative, when I'm not yet? sorry just stressed that I've messed up for my poor brother

Unicorn81 Sun 05-Mar-17 20:49:07

No problem with you getting the ball rolling. If you live in england or wales you can apply for letters of admin without a solicitor but with an estate of that size i would involve one. If you want to cut down solicitor fees though you could deal with companies yourself when you get letters of admin and discuss what you want the solicitor to do.

EyeStye Mon 06-Mar-17 18:59:30

If your parents are in agreement that you should be the PR then there won't be an issue. Presumably you've just notified of the death and frozen the accounts in the meantime which is the right thing to do.
Sorry for your loss

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: