Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Do I need a will??? (Probate expert advice gratefully received)

(8 Posts)
notanothernamechangebabes Sun 05-Mar-17 14:27:07

Since DS was born, I've been thinking it's time to make a will.

I'm 29, DP owns our home outright, and I have few (read basically no assets) and no real debts.

Any bequests would be sentimental - but I keep thinking I have some quite specific ideas about DS's upbringing that I would like to be implemented in case of my death- and though I trust Dp to carry them through... I worry that my family might contest them.

Is this something I can have written into a will? And how much legal oooomph would such a thing have anyway?


Chasingsquirrels Mon 06-Mar-17 16:12:21

Yes you need a will.
It can be very simple and you can probably pay less than £200.
There is an MNeer who has a will writing business called Marlow Wills (I think) who lots of MN's have used. I have and would definitely recommend. Sorry I can't remember her MN name atm.

Chasingsquirrels Mon 06-Mar-17 16:15:20

Having re-read, I'm not sure (but don't know) that any wishes regarding your DS upbringing would have any legal standing. Is your DP his father, with PR? If so in the event of your death presumably your DP would just continue to have responsibility for your DS.

Emmummums Mon 13-Mar-17 00:00:27

As you are unmarried it is important that you both have Wills as you could potentially receive nothing if your DP passes away or have to go to court to receive something. If your DP is named on the birth certificate he will have parental responsibility so nothing is needed to ensure he looks after your child. However you should apppoint guardians who will look after your child if you both pass away. This will be legally binding. If you have wishes about how your child is looked after you could write them in a letter to your DP and/or the guardians. It won't be legally binding but will let them know your thoughts. I'd pay a lot more for a Will than £200 to ensure that a qualified solicitor has taken the time to advise you properly.

babybarrister Mon 13-Mar-17 09:06:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mumblechum0 Wed 15-Mar-17 14:26:11

flowers thanks Babybarrister and Chasing Squirrels for your recommendations.

OP, it would be sensible for you and your partner both to make wills. This would include provision for a guardian for your child in the very unlikely event that you both died before she's 18, but equally crucially, if your DP dies, you will receive nothing from his estate. Everything will have to be held in trust for your child.

For that reason, and certainly if marriage isn't on the cards, it is very important to get wills sorted out sooner rather than later. If your dp doesn't want to gift you the house in his will, he can at least give you a right to reside there, or a life interest which means that you can carry on living there until your death or marriage to someone else.

Feel free to PM me if you need any more details.

Chasingsquirrels Wed 15-Mar-17 17:05:57

@mumblechum0 - sorry I couldn't remember your MN-name!

mumblechum0 Wed 15-Mar-17 19:53:36


Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: