Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Transferring house title from two to one?

(4 Posts)
MrsPinkCock Sat 25-Feb-17 10:36:45

Hello, thank you for any help you can give.

Does anyone know the process involved when one person is buying the other out of a house with a joint tenancy? There is no mortgage involved and the cash figure is agreed.

How long does the process take and do I need a solicitor or can I draft the transfer deed myself? I own the house with my sister so neither of us are bothered about legal advice and it's uncontentious.

Thank you anyone who can assist!

EyeStye Sat 25-Feb-17 18:13:07

Stamp duty will be payable on your sister's half by you, have you factored that in ?

It's fairly simple otherwise to do the Land Registry forms. It's a TR1 and possibly one more hopefully a conveyancer can confirm.

Where money is transferred the advantage of a solicitor is that the money and transfer can be done simultaneously.

DanGleballs Sat 25-Feb-17 18:17:30

The forms you need are TR1 and AP1. They aren't that difficult if you have some legal knowledge. The stamp duty return is a whole different ball game. It can be a little bit intimidating I can imagine.

DanGleballs Sat 25-Feb-17 18:20:07

I can recommend an online firm that will do it cheaply for you if you would like? It should take less than a month. My firm could have it done in a week or so but our charges reflect that too. It's worth paying a decent solicitor if you want it done particularly quickly.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: