Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Now there's no Office for Fair Trading where should I report this?

(9 Posts)
cheapskatemum Thu 23-Feb-17 18:33:57

I'll try to be brief:
I typed in the web address for applying to renew my driving licence online (it's 10 years old). I must have somehow got diverted to a non-government site.
I filled in the online form and paid a fee (it was around £60)
About a week later I got a Driving Licence Application form with the details I'd given filled in by hand and a typewritten sheet saying to check them, attach a photo and send it to DVLA with cheque for £17. An envelope with the address hand written on it & a second class stamp was enclosed confused
In the meantime my Facebook account was cloned. Obviously I've no proof, but I'm sure these two events are related.
In the past I would have reported this to the Office of Fair Trading and sent them all the evidence I have. Now there's no such thing, who do I tell? I feel like an idiot, but I could at least stop others falling prey to this kind of scam - I've paid a lot of money for someone to write details on a form, when I'm perfectly capable of doing that for myself!
I have now applied to the bona fide site online for my renewed Driving Licence.

EyeStye Thu 23-Feb-17 19:44:55

Action Fraud maybe?

Jayfee Thu 23-Feb-17 19:47:41

if you think they have cloned your info phone police and ask ...thry are now more worried about fraud. regarding the scamming..there is another one for passport renewals..

tessiebear4 Thu 23-Feb-17 19:48:13

Financial conduct authority

BeezerBubble Thu 23-Feb-17 19:52:40

Info here might be of use www.gov.uk/report-suspicious-emails-websites-phishing , scams involving DVLA quite common www.gov.uk/government/news/scam-warning-for-dvla-customers

LIZS Thu 23-Feb-17 19:53:45

Trading Standards?

WetDogLovesHubert Thu 23-Feb-17 19:55:50

I'd go to your local authority''s trading standards too. They're brilliant at knowing what to do in such situations. Alert your bank etc in the meantime, check your credit report and keep an eye out for any post which comes to your address which may be some f*wits taking out loans in your name.

BeezerBubble Thu 23-Feb-17 19:59:20

Looks like if it's the result of a search engine lookup or similar the stellar advice is to complain to the search engine and that's it gds.blog.gov.uk/2014/03/02/report-a-misleading-website-to-search-engines/

cheapskatemum Thu 23-Feb-17 20:31:53

Thank you all very much indeed for taking the time and trouble to reply. BeezerBubble I wish I'd known, hindsight's a wonderful thing! Having said that, it could have been worse as I applied for a passport online last month & that was all above board.

WetDog thanks for the heads up, I can't wait sad.

Facebook sorted out the cloning thing straight away - they're obviously well practised.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now