Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Cheap wills

(8 Posts)
stuckinthehouse Tue 21-Feb-17 12:46:31

Hi everyone,
I would like to bite the bullet and finally write a will. I've been meaning to do it for ages but DH doesn't see the rush and he's usually the person who sorts out all our household admin.
I have a question though...why is it that the prices vary so much? I contacted the local solicitors who sold our house and they quoted £280 for a joint will. Yet I look online and there are some 'Write your will for £19.99' adverts. Why such an extreme difference?
Please excuse my ignorance. I'm feeling a little caught in the headlights with it.

RamblinRosie Wed 22-Feb-17 00:25:22

You need more than just a will, you both need powers of attorney to cover you for health and financial issues, should something disastrous happen.

A cheap willwriter, will write you a cheap will, but without considering the wider issues.

Folks here always recommend Mumblechum, based in Marlow, I haven't used her, but plan to do so.

MrsBertBibby Wed 22-Feb-17 07:33:20

If you pay peanuts, you will get a monkey.

babybarrister Wed 22-Feb-17 07:36:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsMozart Wed 22-Feb-17 07:37:02

Good timed topic (for me) as we're trying to sort out all of ours, including PoA and tying in the business. Like you OP I've been confused by the various prices and offers.

chocoshopoholic Wed 22-Feb-17 07:41:30

I used mumblechum after a recommendation on here. It was something that I'd been putting off thinking it would be difficult. she emailed some prompt questions for me to think about before A half hour phone appointment one evening, then everything arrived in the post the following week.

tribpot Wed 22-Feb-17 07:47:46

Here is Mumblechum's website and her advert on Mumsnet - she is highly recommended on MN.

Flanderspigeonmurderer Wed 22-Feb-17 08:06:30

I found this article useful

www.theguardian.com/money/2015/jun/18/writing-a-will-easy

We went with a local solicitor in the end, for convenience really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now